Chapter Twelve:

"Thanks for the ride." I stretched to give him a peck on the lips. "See you at church." He gave me a hug and then waved goodbye.

I started towards the back door and it swung wide open. "Daddy?" He stomped over to me and took me by the face. He lifted up my chin and looked all around my neck. My mother walked out "Jason stop that!" She slapped his hands. "How did you sleep?" He asked me crossing his arms. "Really well,actually." He frowned,"Good." Now he was starting to act like hisself. "Go get dressed." He pointed toward the door.

I ran through the house and burst through the door to my room. "Ok." I picked through the clothes in my closet and pulled out a black and turquoise quarter sleeve shirt. The shirt itself was black and the trim was flowery and turquoise. I slipped it on and pulled out some Buckle jeans with white trim. I shuffled through the bottom of the closest and found some of my dress boots. They were black as well, with white designs. I slid them onto my feet and rushed into the bathroom to turn on the straightener. While it heated up I put on some blue eye shadow, eyeliner, a tad bit of blush, and mascara.

By the time I finished my make-up the straightener had finished heating. I straightened my hair and pinned my bangs back out of my face with a bobby pin. I hurried into the kitchen where my dad read the newspaper and my mom knitted a scarf. My dad raised his eyes to mine, "Ready?" I nodded and we headed out the door, bibles in hand.

When we got to the church house, Tanner, his mother, and his little brother were already there. I grabbed him by the arm and dragged him to the first pew with me. His brother followed while stomping his feet and pouting. Tanner stood amongst my parents and me. My mother and his talked as if they were old friends. His little brother pushed past Tanner and stood beside me. He looked up at me and I smiled down at him. He stared for a long moment before he squeezed his hand through my closed fist and clutched my hand tightly. He leaned his head on my hips.

At about the middle of the service, Tanner's little brother had fallen asleep in my lap. He had the cutest 'sleep' smile. Tanner leaned over to me, "Sorry about him." He whispered. I smiled at him, "It's fine," I ran my fingers through the small child's hair,"I've always loved children." The preacher stopped, "Let us pray..." He gestured for us to stand. "Heavenly Father..."

After church had ended, my father shook hands with everyone; my mother hugged everyone, and I talked to Tanner. Alyssa walked past us and then backed up, "Are you two finally...?" She looked at me with one eyebrow raised. Tanner pulled me by the waist closer to him and nodded. Alyssa busted out laughing, "I told you she would give!" She pointed at Tanner "You two are destined for each other!" Tanner's little brother hid behind me and clutched my jeans. "Is that y'all's kid?!" She threw her head back in laughter. I shook my head at her and Tanner laughed. We talked for a while until Alyssa was summoned by her mother, "See y'all tomorrow, three days till graduation!" She waved as she stepped into the backseat of her family's car.

Tanner turned to stare me down while pulling me closer. I felt a firm hand come down on my shoulder. My father stuck his face in between ours. "Time to go Shelby." He said bluntly. He didn't move until Tanner finally let go. My father turned to walk away and Tanner bent down and kissed me before his mother dragged him away. I giggled and told him "Bye."