And for some reason, its words comforted me as I was dragged down the black hole, dark liquid suffocating me as I barely managed to get enough air into my lungs.

I don't want to die yet. Not like this.

~

My eyes snapped open, only for them to snap back close at the blinding light shining into my room.

"Amara?"

Slowly, I blinked my eyes back open to see the worried frown of Salvestro staring right back at me.

"Bambina," He let out a breath of relief. "You're awake. I can't believe it."

I stayed silent.

I didn't want to come in contact with Salvestro. All he brought was pain, both physically and mentally.

'Exactly,' the voice piped up, and its presence helped my muscles relax as I sunk into the bed.

"I can't believe you're awake." Salvestro continued muttering under his breath as he rushed to get out his phone, dialling in a number as I stared blankly at the wall in front of me.

Salvestro spoke in urgent Italian, and I had to say that I was pretty impressed at how many words he got out in just one breath.

However, I didn't bother trying to listen to him as I started picking at my nails, finding it extremely interesting all of a sudden.

It took five minutes of him on the phone before he finally turned to me, a look of complete relief over his face. Why was he so relieved?

"Alright," he said, joy shining in his features as he turned to me.

I turned to him, not understanding why he was so happy. Dude, you ruined my life. Are you seriously that happy about that?

I, obviously smart enough to not say my opinions out loud, tightened my lips so that it pulled into a thin line so I looked at anywhere but him.

"Hey," I literally felt Salvestro's face pull into a frown as he came over slowly. "What's wrong?"

'Don't answer him.' the voice hissed, 'He's not worth it.'

Agreeing, I stayed silent, making sure that there was no 'Salvestro' in my line of sight as I picked at my nails, pretending that I didn't hear him.

"Are you okay?"

No, Salvestro. I am not okay. Does it look like I'm okay to you?

"Hey," he said softly, coming over to sit beside me. The bed dipped at his weight, and I almost tumbled over if it weren't for this arms wrapping around me last minute. "Talk to me."

Yeah... No. I'd rather talk to Samantha than you, which is saying a lot as she got me tortured because she wouldn't reveal information about you and your stupid Mafia.

"Bambina..." Not going to lie, Sylvestre sounded like he was about to break down crying, and that would honestly be a sight to behold and remember.

Again, the voice told me to not talk to him, deeming him a bastard unworthy of my attention. I swear, I don't know what I'd do without the voices anymore. They helped me so much these days.

Strong arms wrapped around me, surrounding me with warmth as his familiar scent washed over me. I stiffened as I felt his head rest on my shoulder, not saying anything as he stared at me.

'See?' the voice scoffed, 'I told you that he wouldn't give you answers even if you are awake. I told you that they aren't you real family.'