Eleven

We all changed quickly, splitting up due to the unwanted company. I felt guilty wearing the suit Tony had made me, but I forced myself to swallow my feelings and walk forward. We didn't have time for my internal war.

Steve and I jogged down the runway, approaching the chopper we were supposed to be taking. Although- we knew that probably wouldn't be happening. As we closed in, a small disk darted through the air and attached itself to the helicopter.

It spasmed, disabling our ride. Damn. Tony and Rhodey zoomed into view and thunked down in front of us. Both were in their metal armor, meaning business.

"Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport. Don't you think that's weird?" Tony sarcastically commented to Rhodey. His helmet pulled back, his eyes meeting mine, and I didn't dare look away. His face was purple and blue from the fight with Bucky yesterday.

"Definitely weird."

"Hear me out, Tony. That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this," Steve tried to explain. Another small thud alerted us to the Black Panther's presence. T'Challa. He approached us stealthily.

"Captain. Miss Stark," he greeted.

"Your highness."

"Anyway, Ross gave me thirty-six hours to bring you in. That was twenty-four hours ago. Can you help a brother out?" Tony sighed, still hopeful that we'd just give in. I knew then that there would be no reasoning with Tony. My heart sank into the pit of my stomach.

"You're after the wrong guy," Steve insisted.

"Your judgment is askew. Your old war buddy killed innocent people yesterday," Tony snapped back.

"Tony, it wasn't his fault! We don't have time for this," I pled, eyes wide. His gaze flicked to me, and I could tell he wanted to believe me, but he didn't know everything we did. So, he couldn't.

"There are five more super soldiers just like him. I can't let the doctor find them first, Tony. I can't," Steve told him with a shake of his head.

"You know what's about to happen. Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?" Natasha spoke from behind us.

"It doesn't seem like we're gonna have a choice," I snapped at her.

"All right, I've run out of patience. Underoos!" Tony called loudly. Some form of web shot out from the sky and snatched Steve's shield right out of his hand. A person dressed in a red and blue spider suit flipped over us and landed on one of the trucks across from us.

"Nice job, kid," Tony told him.

"Thanks. Well, I could've stuck the landing a little better. It's just the new suit... Well, it's nothing, Mr. Stark. It's- it's perfect. Thank you," he gushed. He sounded like- like a kid. He had to be young. Where had Tony found him?

"Yeah, we don't really need to start a conversation."

"Okay. Cap... Captain. Big fan. Miss Stark. I'm Spider Man," he introduced himself to us. I couldn't help but grin at the kid.

"Yeah, we'll talk about it later. Just-" Tony interjected.

"Hey, everyone."

"Good job."

"You've been busy," Steve remarked as he stared at Spider-Man.

"And you've been a complete idiot. Dragging in Clint and Melanie. 'Rescuing' Wanda from a place she doesn't even want to leave, a safe place. I'm trying to keep... I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart," Tony spat at him harshly. I opened my mouth, but Steve spoke first.

"You did that when you signed."

"Alright. We're done. You're gonna turn Barnes over; you're gonna come with us. Now! Because it's us! Or a squad of J-SOC guys- with no compunction about being impolite," Tony warned, his voice turning hard.

"Tony please," I tried to reason still, but Sam finally cut in on comms.

"We found it. Their Quinjet is in hanger five, north runway."

"Alright, Lang," Steve cued our new recruit. The time for talking was done.

"Hey, guys, something..." Spider-Man stuttered in confusion as Scott used his badass Ant Man suit to grow back to his normal size. He'd been attached to Steve's shield, and he kicked the kid, sending him backwards. He flipped back and landed directly in front of Steve and I.

"Whoa. What--what the hell was that?" Rhodey wondered aloud.

"I believe this is yours, Captain America," Scott announced, handing over the shield.

"Oh, great. Alright, there's two on the parking deck. One of them is Maximoff; I'm gonna grab her. Rhodey, you got this?" Tony directed, flying off in the direction of Wanda and Clint.

"Got two in the terminal, Wilson and Barnes," Rhodey informed them. Well crap.

"Barnes is mine!" T'Challa declared, tearing off in their direction.

"Don't let him get away," I warned Steve, facing the two left with Scott. Spider-Man swung away, going after Bucky and Sam as well. Scott approached Natasha, and I felt I should warn him, but he could handle himself. I hoped.

Rhodey hovered above me and I raised my hand up, preparing. Rhodey had been in our lives for years; I loved him like a brother. I wouldn't make the first move. I didn't want to fight them. It was wrong. But I would if I had to.

"Melanie, don't do this."

"Then walk away."

"I can't do that," he sighed. Without another word, he pulled out one of his batons from his back and lunged at me.

I dodged to the side, turning and unleashing an unforgiving beam of ice. It hit him in the side, and he rolled through the air. He corrected himself and fired a small missile at one of the vehicles next to me. Cursing, I sprinted forward to avoid the explosion.

It deafened my ears momentarily, and debris flew everywhere. I stumbled and fell to my knees, catching a glimpse of Steve and T'Challa a few yards from me. Steve took a hit, rolling across the ground and giving T'Challa the opportunity to do some serious damage.

Without hesitation, I sent a spray of ice shards directly at him. It caught his attention, and he dodged them, turning my way. I didn't even move as I sent the next blast his way. It hit him square on and he flew back, smashing into a truck.

An electric buzz sounded behind me; I didn't have enough time to react, but Steve was suddenly kneeling next to me. He lifted his shield above my head, and a loud crack caused me to flinch. A wave of deja vu swept over me, reminding me of when we fought the Chitauri. Rhodey's baton bounced violently off of Steve's shield, sending him catapulting away from us.

"Thanks," I whispered to Steve, slightly shocked. That would have hurt like hell. He took my arm and helped me off the ground. Scott ran up to us, out of breath.

"Hey, Cap, heads up," he said, tossing a miniaturized truck to Steve, "Throw it at this... Now!"

Steve threw it at a small disk that Scott tossed forward. The truck grew back to its normal size, tumbling towards Rhodey, T'Challa, and Natasha. They all tried to scatter as it hit the pavement, exploding into a fiery mess.

"Oh, man. I thought it was a water truck. Uh... sorry," Scott apologized, as we ran for the hangar. The others managed to catch up to us; we were so close.

"Come on!" Steve urged us as the jet came into view. A beam of light shot down in front of us, eating at the concrete in front of us. We all came to an abrupt halt and glanced up. Vision had joined the party.