At Long Last

{Steve's POV}

Natasha eased the jet into the clearing with ease, the trees hiding any evidence of it. The cabin could be seen in the distance from here, only one of the many hideouts we'd acquired. The peacefulness of it could almost make you forget there was anything wrong in the world, but I had never experienced peace for too long.

My greatest solace had been Melanie, and I had lost her. I too often thought of her and hoped more than anything she was okay, but I had respected her wishes. Even if it killed a part of me every single day. She was like the air that I needed to breathe and with her absence, I was drowning. I could only hope that one day she would forgive me, deserving or not.

She obviously still had an issue with staying out of trouble, even as a fugitive. The incident in New York had reached everywhere, even us. Not in a million years had I thought she'd risk going back to the states. But for Tony, I knew she'd do anything.

Natasha slid from her seat and followed me down the ramp and onto the gravel path, her blonde hair bobbing as we walked. Her fiery red hair had been a dead giveaway and she had immediately dyed it after rescuing the others. We all tried our best to remain inconspicuous at all times.

Sam greeted us on the porch, an odd look on his face. My own face fell, knowing whatever he was going to say wouldn't be good.

"Hey man, that phone of yours went off a few times. Not sure how many people you gave that number to, but if it's Tony Stark... I doubt it was to just chitchat," he informed me, gesturing inside. Natasha and I exchanged a glance before I strode through the wooden doorway. If Tony had called, it had to be serious.

The small phone was still lying where I had left it in the kitchen, and I quickly snapped it open. I tried dialing the number, but a robotic voice immediately told me the call couldn't be completed. A small, red notification caught my eye. There was a single voicemail.

"Did you listen to this?" I asked, glancing at Sam over my shoulder.

"No. That's your business. He probably would have hung up if I had answered anyway. Plus, I knew you'd be back soon."

The time receipt showed the calls had come in a few hours ago. I pressed it against my ear as Wanda wandered out one of the rooms to watch as Sam flipped through channel after channel on the television. A familiar voice greeted my ear, and I froze.

"Son of a bitch," I muttered, listening as Melanie spoke over the message. The others stared at me questioningly, but I held up a finger for them to wait. Her voice was strained and broken, like she had been screaming or crying. My heart constricted at the sound, pain laced in every word. The voicemail cut off and I lowered the phone, assessing her words. Half of it didn't even make sense.

"What's going on?" Wanda murmured, her eyes piercing into mine.

"That was Melanie. Something's wrong," I said, closing my eyes at the thought of anything happening to her. Natasha pried the phone from my fingers, replaying it on speaker. My fists clenched at my sides. I didn't think I could listen to it again. She had kept saying he; he who?

I didn't plan on waiting around to figure it out. I had to find her- and fast. The three paused after hearing the message, unsure what to make of it. Sam's mouth turned into a scowl, and he went back to searching the news.

"Well, we have to help her," Wanda insisted, her gaze bouncing between us.

"No, whoever she warned us about is clearly coming for you. You need to stay here. We don't know who we're up against. It's not a chance I think we should take." I told her levelly.

"Rogers is right," Natasha chimed in.

"That goes for you two as well. You should be here in case they show up."

"I can handle myself," Wanda persisted, a flash of red appearing in her eyes.

"I know- I know. Look, you'll be on standby and if I need you, I'll call you in. Let me find her first."

The women considered my words and solemnly agreed. I needed to move. I turned back to the door, but before I could make it outside Sam stopped me.

"Cap, you might want to see this."

My eyes darted to the screen across the room and for a moment I didn't know what I was looking at. Aerial surveillance showed the Clyde Arc, which wasn't too far from our current location. The feed zoomed in, and a single man was walking across the bridge, shadows following him closely, casting everything he passed in darkness. People scattered in terror, trying to flee. This had to have been who Melanie had meant; he was trying to lure us out.

"We might not have time to track her down, Steve," Natasha winced.

The air rippled and the dark-haired man came to a halt as the space before him ripped open. A figure stepped through, challenging him. My blood ran cold, my heart nearly stopping in my chest. Melanie had come out the other side.

"Yeah, I don't think that's gonna be an issue anymore." Sam stared, wide-eyed.

They had a heated exchange, Melanie blocking his path and distracting him enough for any remaining civilians to get clear. He held up his palm, familiar icy tendrils illuminating the space between them, causing her to grow even more agitated.

"Oh god," I realized aloud. He took everything from me. This is what she meant.

"Is that-"

"Her powers? Yes." Wanda finished for Sam. Their bewildered expressions quickly turned angry as we all guessed what had happened. What he had done to take them. My body tensed as we continued to watch them, my hands itching to hit something. To hit him.

He decided the conversation was over and attacked her with her own power, but a fiery orange explosion blocked the blow.

"What kind of magic is that?" Wanda wondered in awe.

By now they had fully engaged with one another, each seeming intent on killing the other. I had enough and marched to the door. She wouldn't face this alone. Not anymore. I'd make that bastard regret ever laying a finger on her.

"Are you sure we shouldn't go with you?" Natasha confirmed, hating to stay behind. Sam voiced the same concern.

"I'll let you know if I need you. We don't want to give him what he wants, so stay put."

"What are you going to do?" Wanda asked doubtfully.

A smile tugged at the corner of my lips as I simply said, "I'm going to go get my girl."