The Youngest Stark

A year went by, and it was one of the hardest we'd ever endured. Most of us drifted apart as we tried to navigate our new realities.

Thor and what was left of his people had found their own little ocean side village, making it their new home. We'd hardly seen the god since our last encounter with Thanos. I'd tried to see him a few times, to reason with him- to be there for him, but he wouldn't even open the door. I had since given up.

Bruce had disappeared to do his own thing. He checked in every now and again, but he had mostly been quiet. I think his distance hurt Natasha more than she let on.

Clint had vanished as well, only whispers of his whereabouts getting back to us. Natasha had tried to track him and found the ugly truth. His entire family had been dusted. There had been a string of killings over the last two months, and we suspected he had something to do with it but couldn't be sure.

Rocket, Nebula, and Carol had returned to space. Each going out on various missions, trying to help where they could on other planets. If they had fared at all like Earth had, then they'd need all the help they could get.

Rhodey popped in and out between work. The military had been severely impacted by the disappearance of many of their members, so he was always busy.

Natasha, Steve, and I had remained close to the compound. Natasha ran the Avenger facility now, trying to oversee any bigger issues that occurred. She was the only one who had the heart to do it.

Steve and I had stepped back. We helped when we could, but there wasn't a need for us as there once had been. And I had been busy looking after the sanctum in Stephen's absence. No other sorcerer had stepped forward, and it couldn't be left unguarded twenty-four seven.

Tony still refused to have anything to do with Steve. It made our relationship a tad strained, but for the most part we were okay. He just wanted to live in peace; to use the second chance he'd been given.

I climbed out of my car and grinned at Tony as he appeared on his front porch. The lake house they had bought was serene. He and Pepper had been married soon after he came home. It had been a small intimate ceremony. They were happier than I had ever seen them.

"Wow- what an honor. This is the third visit this week," he bowed mockingly.

I rolled my eyes as I climbed the steps, "Yeah, I'm not here for you, smart ass."

He chuckled and we went inside quietly.

"Is she asleep?" I asked, glancing toward the stairs. As if on cue, a fragile little wail sounded from upstairs.

"Not anymore."

Pepper descended the stairs, the crying baby in her arms. She shook her head in wonder.

"I swear it's like she can sense you," she told me, offering her arms out to me.

With a large smile, I took Morgan from her arms, holding my niece close to my chest and rocking her to soothe away her cries. It took a moment, but she finally calmed down and I moved to one of the couches in the living room. They both followed, but I was too focused on the beautiful child in my arms.

"How's your magic lair- thing- going?" Tony asked, squinting at his own words.

"The sanctum? It's fine," I snorted, shaking my head at him. I cooed at Morgan, her little face lighting up. She was only a few months old, but I had never loved anyone more. "Your parents made the cutest baby," I crooned at the infant, "let's just hope you take after your mommy and not your daddy."

Pepper laughed and Tony scoffed in fake outrage. I cocked a brow at him and smirked.

"I hope for my sanity she does too," Pepper admitted, giving Tony a pointed look.

His gaze flicked between us in disbelief as he said, "I don't like the alliance that is forming against me here. I think a mini me would be great."

"Ha. You were the worst child," I reminded him, "I'm pretty sure you were the reason for mom's grey hairs."

"I highly doubt that."

"He's just as bad as an adult," Pepper added with a sigh.

Morgan began fussing, apparently ready for her next feeding. I handed her back to Pepper and she went to make her bottle and take her upstairs again. She loved the rocking chair in her room and almost always refused to eat unless she was being rocked in it.

"Hey, hey, hey- it's my turn," Tony informed her offendedly.

She rolled her eyes in amusement and said, "Your sister is here. You can have the next one."

They exchanged a look and she disappeared. I moved next to my brother and gazed at him.

"Fatherhood really suits you, ya know."

He smiled warmly, sighing in contentment. "Thanks, Lanie. I never thought..." he stumbled on the words as he waved his arm around us, "I never thought I'd have this."

"Well, don't let it go," I murmured.

"Oh, I don't plan on it."

It was silent for a few moments and Tony's face contorted as he tried to say whatever was on his mind. He reached for my hand and cleared his throat.

"I know I have my issues with Steve, but I want you to be happy too. Even if it is with him," he admitted.

"Tony-"

"No, I'm serious. You're a stronger person than me for being able to forgive him. I just don't know if I'll ever be able to, but I don't want to lose you because of it. I know how much you love him, and I just want you to have everything you want out of this life. You deserve it."

I blinked rapidly as tears stung my eyes from his speech. I patted his hand, taking a deep breath before I spoke. "You'll never lose me, Tony. You're my family. We're stuck with each other remember? We're going to live until we're both old and grey and thumping each other with our walking sticks."

He snorted at that and something inside me relaxed that I hadn't known was on edge. I had been lucky when so many people hadn't; I sometimes felt guilty for it. I had my family, and I had my love. Maybe that would be enough for me to finally move on.