Four

The cathedral was quiet as we waited for Peggy's funeral to begin. Sam sat next to me at the end of the third pew. Tony had refused to come, which I had expected. He hated funerals. I shifted in the uncomfortable wood seat and adjusted the skirt of my dress.

The choir began singing and the doors opened so that the pallbearers could make their way to the front. Steve was among the men carrying the draped casket. His eyes were red from crying and he was struggling to keep his composure.

The priest began the ceremony as soon as the pallbearers took their seats. Steve sat in between Sam and I, his eyes downcast. I gently took his hand in mine, creating circling motions with my thumb across his skin.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words," the priest concluded. I glanced up as a blonde took the podium and my mouth almost dropped. It was Steve's old neighbor. Sam elbowed Steve and tilted his head toward her. Steve followed his gaze, and he was taken aback.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D... but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy," Sharon admitted, her eyes trailing over to Steve. I tensed and narrowed my eyes, my lips thinning into a straight line. Peggy's niece. I never would have guessed, but it's not like Peggy was around much as we got older.

"She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool, but it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move... it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say 'No, you move'."

The rest of the ceremony was lovely and seemed to end quickly. Steve didn't move a muscle as the rest of the mourners began pouring out into the aisles. Sam peered over at me and waved him on. I'd stay with Steve as long as he needed.

The church was totally silent, and Steve just stared ahead, lost in his own thoughts. I wasn't sure what to say so I just kept quiet. I didn't believe there would be anything I could say that could even remotely help that I hadn't said already.

The noise of the door opening caught my attention, and I turned around to see who it was. Natasha. She motioned her head for me to come to her after noticing Steve sitting as if he was stone. I touched his shoulder as I passed him into the aisle and approached Nat.

"How's he doing?" she inquired quietly, gazing at him sadly.

"As well as you'd expect. He hasn't said a word," I sighed.

"I'm passing through on the way to Vienna. There's no way you're changing your mind?" she asked, referring to the accords.

I gave her a wry smile and shook my head. "I don't think so. I told you- I'm retiring. Time to hang up that life."

"I figured. It might be harder to walk away than you think," she warned jokingly.

"Maybe, but I won't sign. So, it's gonna have to work out. I'll give you two a minute. Let him know I'll be outside when he's ready."

Natasha nodded and made her way to the front of the church. I glanced at Steve once more before heading outside. It was bright and warm, not at all how it had felt inside that church. I sat on a nearby bench and waited.

I glanced around at all the people just going about their day, doing normal things with normal everyday worries. That was what I wanted. Normalcy. We deserved that, but I wasn't so sure that Steve could just turn away as easily. It wasn't in his nature. I sighed quietly and closed my eyes, letting the cool breeze ruffle my hair and letting fond memories of Aunt Peggy occupy my mind. The world would be a bit dimmer without her.