Two

It had been weeks since what happened in Lagos and a lot of the world was unhappy with how things had ended. I refused to watch the news anymore; it was just the same every time. They were ruthless.

Steve had been hovering for the last few weeks thinking that I was going to suddenly break down over Rumlow's death. Though I kept insisting I was fine. Which was the truth. He had made his own choices, and he suffered the consequences. It was what it was.

My feet echoed as I went down the stairs; the compound was eerily quiet for once. Vision passed through the wall in front of me as I hit the first floor and made me jump back. Every time.

"Vision!" I scolded halfheartedly.

"Oh, sorry," he apologized, "Mr. Stark asked that you come to the conference room with the others. The Secretary of State is here."

I groaned, "Of course he is. On my way. I think Steve and Wanda are still upstairs."

He nodded and we parted ways. Everyone else was already there and seated. Tony was in the back corner and had this look on his face. I didn't say anything and sat in the chair in front of him. Secretary Ross was talking to the man with him, paying us no mind.

Steve, Wanda, and Vision finally joined us, and he sauntered to the head of the table. Steve sat beside me at the end of the table, his face wary already.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass... I found something forty years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some- who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'," he said, glancing around at the lot of us.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked him sweetly.

"How about- dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

The secretary's assistant activated the screen at the head of the table and Ross moved aside so that we had a clear view. Footage began playing.

"New York."

A leviathan swooped by as horrified citizens ran for cover. The Hulk appeared, smashing into a building and sending a dust cloud everywhere that engulfed the camera.

"Washington DC."

The three Insight helicarriers, came onto the screen, firing on each other. The Triskelion was a ruined mess in the distance. A helicarrier crashed into the Potomac and threw up a massive wave, engulfing citizens and the camera recording.

"Sokovia."

Citizens scattered everywhere as they screamed. The city began rising, causing a building to fall over.

"Lagos."

The burning building we'd been seeing for weeks popped up. Paramedics moved across the screen with a body. More bodies were zoomed in on. Wanda scowled and shifted uncomfortably.

"Okay. That's enough," Steve told Ross sternly. Ross nodded to the aide and the images disappeared finally. The room weighed heavily in solemn silence for a moment.

"Where's the footage of the mess you caused when you were hunting Bruce Banner? You know, when you tried to have him murdered," I asked nonchalantly, my fingers thrumming on the table in irritation. I heard Tony sigh quietly behind me, but I didn't break eye contact with Ross.

"You don't know what you're talking about. I suggest you leave it at that," he said coldly, his eyes flashing. My nose wrinkled in distaste at the man. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution," he informed us, placing a thick document on the table and passing it to Wanda. She glanced at it and slid it across the table to Rhodey's waiting hands.

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by one-hundred and seventeen countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that," Steve replied snippily.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"If I misplaced a couple of thirty megaton nukes... you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground," he tried to assure us. They're people, not weapons. I wanted to make another snarky remark but kept silent.

"So, there are contingencies," Rhodey stated, glancing up at him.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords," he told us closing the conversation as we glanced around at one another, "Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asked as he began walking away.

"Then you retire," he replied simply. Natasha forced a smile and a small huff escaped from my lips. This would be a fun conversation.