Three

I did a double take when Steve told me where they were, but I promptly opened a portal and stepped through. They were all inside already and I made my way through the busy diner.

I spotted them and weaved my way through the kids that were running around. Steve scooted over in the booth to make room for me. Scott and Natasha sat on the opposite side. And at the end, in his own chair, was Bruce.

He was talking with the three of them while eating from several enormous bowls of food. I stared at him in confusion. He was in his hulk form, but was still himself... That was new.

"Hey, Bruce," I greeted as I slid into my seat.

He grinned, waving his fork as he spoke, "Hi, Mel! How have you been?"

"Uh- pretty good. All things considered."

I wasn't sure if I should mention the confusing state he was in. Maybe he had already explained it to them. The curiosity was eating at me.

"Come on, I feel like I'm the only one eating," he complained pushing a bowl forward, "Try some of that. Have some eggs."

No one else moved to touch it. I shrugged, picking up a spare fork and popping a mouthful of eggs into my mouth. I had only eaten a small amount at Tony's. Bruce grinned and nodded in approval as Steve gave me a funny look.

"What?" I protested as I chewed, "I'm still freaking starving. You didn't feed me this morning." He rolled his eyes but smiled, nonetheless.

Scott stared at Bruce in utter disbelief, "I'm so confused."

"These are confusing times."

"Right. No, no, that's not what I meant."

"No, I get it. I'm kidding! I know. It's crazy. I'm wearing shirts now," Bruce told him, pulling at the fabric that covered his torso.

"Yeah! Wh-How? Why?" Scott finally asked, and I perked up for the answer.

"Five years ago, we got our asses beaten. Except it was worse for me. Because I lost twice. First, Hulk lost, then Banner lost. Then, we all lost."

"No one blamed you, Bruce," Natasha informed him softly. She hadn't said a word since I'd arrived.

"I did. For years, I've been treating the Hulk like he's some kind of disease, something to get rid of. But then I started looking at him as the cure. Eighteen months in a gamma lab. I put the brains and the brawn together. And now look at me. Best of both worlds."

Three kids popped up behind Bruce tentatively. They couldn't seem to decide who would speak up out of the group.

"Excuse me, Mr. Hulk?" the girl eventually spoke, causing Bruce to turn to them.

"Yes?"

"Can we get a photo?"

"One hundred percent little person. Come on, step up," he took the phone from her and handed it to Scott, "You mind?"

"Oh, yeah."

"Thanks. Say 'green'!"

They all posed for the photo, repeating what Bruce had suggested. It was nice seeing him admired when for years people had only feared him.

"Did you get that?" Bruce inquired, looking back to Scott.

Scott leaned forward to hand the phone back, "Don't you wanna grab one with me? I'm Ant-Man."

The kids looked at each other like deer in headlights. I choked on a bite of egg at their faces, coughing roughly as I did. Steve thumped on my back in surprise, biting his lip to keep from laughing as well.

"They're Hulk fans; they don't know Ant-Man. Nobody does," Scott realized dejectedly. I half wanted to force the kids to take one with him, just to get that sad expression off his face. Bruce had the same idea apparently.

"Wait, no, no, he feels bad. No, he wants you to... he wants to-" he turned to one of the boys, "You want to take a picture with him, right?"

The boy shook his head vigorously and whispered, "Stranger danger."

Natasha glanced out the window as she now fought to keep her amusement under control. We were horrible. Really.

"He's even saying no he doesn't. I get it. I don't want it either."

"But, come on, the kid! But he... but you..."

"I don't want a picture with them," Scott decided, shaking his head while still trying to hand over the phone.

"He's gonna feel bad," he muttered to the children before turning back to Scott, "Sorry. They said they'd do it."

"I don't want it anymore."

"No, no... you feel bad."

"Just take the goddamn phone."

"Thank you, Mr. Hulk," the girl gushed, taking the device from him.

"No, it's great kids. Thank you very much," they did some hand motion, all saying, "Hulk out!"

"Bruce," Steve said, trying to pull his attention back to the matter at hand.

"Dab!"

"Bruce."

"Listen to your mom. She knows better."

"About what we were saying-"

Bruce faced us again and nodded, "Right. The whole time travel do-over? Guys, it's outside my area of expertise."

So, they had filled him in on what we were trying to do. My eyes flickered between them as I kept stealing food from the bowl. He seemed to have forgotten about it.

"Well, you pulled this off. I remember a time when that seemed pretty impossible time, too," Natasha reminded him sweetly, her mouth twitching. He gazed at her as he considered what they had told him.

"Alright, alright. I can try. I can't make any promises, though," he told us, pointing with a serious expression.

"That's all we're asking," Steve sighed in relief.

Bruce would meet us at the compound, and we'd be able to get started once he was there. We exited the diner, leaving him to finish his food. The other two got into the car, but Steve stopped and turned to me.

"Any change with Tony?" he asked, searching my face for any hint, one way or the other.

I shook my head and he nodded, accepting that this entire plan relied on Bruce now. We climbed in the car as well, heading back to the compound. There was no need for me to get his hopes up that Tony would suddenly change his mind. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten mine up either.