Back From the Dead

The book in my hand thumped to the desk as I concentrated on the ripple of magic I had felt. What was Stephen doing? I thought it was just us in the sanctum, but maybe I was wrong.

I hurried through the halls, my curiosity propelling me forward. When I reached the library, I skidded to a halt as I stared at the guest in surprise.

"Thor?" I gasped, my lips spreading into a massive grin. He had been gone since Ultron. His face mirrored my own, and he ran over to me.

"Lady Melanie!" he bellowed, crushing me in a bone shattering hug. I flinched slightly but took a deep breath and returned the sentiment. He was a pleasant surprise.

"It's been too long. How are you? Where have you been? Why are you here?" I couldn't help but rattle off the questions.

"I've been well. I'm looking for my father, Odin. Tell me- why are you here with this wizard man?"

"Uh- it's kinda a long story, but I'm a sorcerer too."

"Ah- things just keep getting weirder every time I return," he shook his head with a scoff, "Is the Captain here? I'd very much like to greet him."

It grew uncomfortably silent, and my smile faded from my face. Of course, he wouldn't know what had happened with the accords and all of our drama here on Earth. "No... No, he's not."

"Oh. I see. Did you ever become betrothed? I was sure he was going to ask for your hand. Or are you already wed? Did I miss it? I'll be very riled if you forgot to invite me," he added, not noticing the change in my demeanor.

"He proposed, yes. But it didn't work out," I admitted with a grimace. His eyes grew wide as he understood. He clapped a hand on my shoulder and leaned in with a melancholy glint in his own eyes.

"I am very sorry to hear that. Love is a tricky thing, isn't it? Just look at Jane and I. That was hard. Sometimes it just isn't the right time for two people, but it doesn't mean they aren't meant to be."

I nodded, hoping that was true.

"I didn't know you and Jane broke up. I'm sorry to hear that."

He nodded, accepting my condolences on his failed relationship and hissed as Stephen walked by, who had nonchalantly plucked a strand of hair from his head.

"If you two are done now..." he rolled his eyes, waving a hand lazily. We appeared in the front foyer at the bottom of the stairs. At least Stephen and I had. Thor rolled down the steps and stumbled to his feet with a disgruntled glance at the sorcerer beside me.

"We could have just walked." he grumbled. Stephen smirked in amusement and worked the hair in his hands, stretching it and maneuvering it until a location portal opened up. Green fields greeted our eyes and the ocean crashed against the rocky cliffs. It was serene.

"He's waiting for you," Stephen said, and Thor nodded, ready, "Oh, don't forget your umbrella."

"Oh, yes," Thor recalled, holding his arm up and waiting patiently. There was a very audible crash and many more things smashing as he called for what I suspected was Mjolnir. Stephen's face fell as the noise continued throughout the entire sanctum.

"Ssssorry-" Thor grunted.

"I'm not cleaning all that up," I muttered to Stephen, who tossed me a wry look. Finally, the hammer, disguised as an umbrella, clanked into Thor's awaiting hand. He smiled reassuringly, brushing glass away and gave a pointed look to Stephen.

"I suppose I'll be needing my brother back."

"Oh, yeah- right."

"Wait- what?" I asked in shock. Last I knew Loki had died.

Thor glanced at me and explained, "Yes, Loki wasn't dead after all. Isn't that great?"

I stared at him with a blank look and just shook my head, "Yeah, terrific."

Stephen waved his hands, opening a portal above us. Loki came screaming out of it and bounced on the floor, his head whipping up, promising violence.

"I have been falling," he panted, "for thirty minutes!"

Thor and I exchanged a look, and he gave me a final hug before turning to thank Stephen.

"I hope everything works out for you," I told him sincerely. Who knew when we'd see each other again.

Loki's eyes narrowed as he remembered me from all those years ago. I matched his gaze, but my confidence faltered as I continued to stare at him. He didn't stare in hate or malice, more like... pity. Then I recalled that God forsaken place I had seen in our short interaction. A chill swept through my body as I thought about it. It still didn't make sense after all these years.

"You should be able to handle him from here," Stephen nodded to the god, breaking me from my own thoughts. Loki clambered to his feet, his eyes bouncing between us.

"Handle me? Who are you?" he scoffed, pulling out two blades with his own magic, "Some kind of sorcerer? Don't think for one second you second rate-"

He tried advancing toward us, but Stephen swept the portal forward.

"Alright, bye-bye."

They disappeared through it and then all was silent.

"Well, that was dramatic," I snickered. He shook his head in exasperation and began walking back up the stairs.

I glanced at where the brothers had disappeared, and my heart ached slightly. Truly, I was happy Thor had his brother back, despite the trouble that seemed to follow him. Seeing them together just made me miss my own. With a sigh, I disappeared back into the sanctum.