One

"Seriously? You don't have any money?" Stephen asked Wong incredulously. Wong and I followed Stephen to the stairs, and he paused halfway down. It was weird seeing Stephen in normal clothing, but he didn't like to go out in public in robes. I wasn't sure why he was so worried. I had lived in New York for years and seen much weirder things on the street.

"Attachment to the material is detachment from the spiritual," Wong replied simply.

"I'll tell the guys at the deli," he told him wryly, "Maybe they'll make you a metaphysical ham on rye."

"Oh, wait, wait, wait, I think I have two hundred," Wong realized with a smile.

"Dollars?"

"Rupees."

"Which is?"

"Uh, buck and a half."

Stephen snorted and shook his head in disbelief. I coughed out a laugh. I had watched the exchange silently, enjoying their banter.

"Oh my god. I have money," I dug in my pocket and pulled out two twenties, handing it to Stephen, "Here."

"What do you want?" he asked us, waving the money in the air as we progressed down the stairs again.

"The usual," I shrugged, just wanting to eat already.

"I wouldn't say no to a tuna melt," Wong said, clapping his hands together excitedly.

A thunderous crash caused us all to duck down instinctively as debris and glass fell everywhere as something smashed through the sanctum. I quickly transformed into my robes, and Stephen did the same, the cloak of levitation soaring toward him. He caught it and flipped it over his shoulders.

The three of us cautiously approached the stairs where whatever it was had landed. Mandalas adorned my hands just in case as I peered over the edge.

"Bruce?!"

"Thanos is coming. He's coming..." he panted, glancing between us frantically. He was only half clothed and had clearly seen better days. The three of us exchanged a look, unsure of what he was talking about.

"Who?"

——————————————

Bruce explained the situation as I helped him out of the hole he had made with his grand entrance. The person behind Loki attacking New York. He was coming, which couldn't be good. Bruce questioned why I was even in the sanctum, but I promised that I'd explain later. First, we agreed to find Tony. We'd need all the help we could get.

Stephen took a strand of my hair and performed a locator spell, opening a portal into the park. He stepped through, and I could hear him talking, but I froze, unsure how Tony would react to my presence.

"We need your help. Look, it's not overselling to say that the fate of the universe is at stake," Stephen tried telling him.

"And who's 'we'?" Tony bit back. Bruce motioned his head for me to follow, but I couldn't move.

"Hey, Tony."

"Bruce..."

Wong suddenly shoved me forward, forcing me onto the other side. I stumbled out and threw a dirty look back at him over my shoulder. Bruce had immediately rushed forward into Tony and Pepper's arms.

"Oh god," Pepper whispered, breaking away to embrace me. I almost sidestepped it but allowed her to encompass me. "We've been so worried about you."

"Melanie? What's going on?" Tony demanded, glancing around at our odd group, his eyes lingering on the robes.

"I missed you too, Pepper," I mumbled before addressing Tony, "Please come with us. It's important."