Tall, Dark, and- Friendly?

It was already June, already June and nothing had changed. I was still in the same hotel, still blowing money at the bar, and still wallowing in the uselessness of my existence. Nepal was beautiful, and I could have used my time to go out and enjoy the culture and scenery, but what was the point?

I signaled the bartender for another shot and patiently waited; I had nowhere to be. No one ever recognized me, and I wasn't necessarily worried they would. With the short hair and constant fatigued appearance, I didn't think anyone would put together who I was. Fine by me.

She slid the glass to me, and I immediately shot it back, keeping my buzz happily humming along. The small glass clinked as I set it back on the counter, staring absently around me. If I had been sober and paying a bit more attention, I probably would have noticed when a man had sat in the stool next to mine.

"I see you here a lot. You always look miserable- no offense. Maybe you'd want some company tonight?" he said in a deep, caressing voice, startling me. I whirled on him, wide-eyed and almost did a double take.

The man in front of me was jaw dropping. Tall, soft black hair and a set of piercing grey eyes. He was hot, the kind of hot that made you stop in the street to stare as they passed, with the rugged bad boy vibe all over him. I'll admit he was pleasing to look at but wasn't my cup of tea.

My eyes narrowed slightly as I replied, "If I wanted company I'd probably come with company, wouldn't I?"

He chuckled but remained undeterred.

"That's a fair point, but something tells me you're not from here and haven't been here long. So, I doubt you'd have any drinking buddies. And everyone needs a friend," he shrugged, flashing a brilliant smile.

"Oh. And you should be my friend? Some random stranger in a bar? I think I'll pass," I snorted, making it clear I wasn't interested. He probably thought I'd be an easy one-night stand.

"What about if I buy you a drink? I'll even tell you name and whatever else you want to know. Then I wouldn't be a stranger anymore."

I smirked at his forwardness and shook my head in amusement. A drink wouldn't be the end of the world. And maybe it would be nice to have an actual conversation with someone after these hauntingly quiet weeks.

"Fine," I agreed sharply, and he ordered drinks for the both of us, "but I'm not sleeping with you." He choked on a laugh and winked exaggeratedly at me.

"Wasn't even suggesting it, darlin."

"Well, what is it?"

"What is what?"

"Your name?" I drawled, sipping the new drink that had been set before me.

"Chase," he replied, waiting a few moments before chuckling quietly, "And yours?"

I panicked, obviously not wanting to give my real name, so I blurted out, "Katherine." I groaned internally. Why didn't I just make one up? I might as well have just given my first name then. "You don't seem like a tourist. Do you work around here?" I asked curiously.

He nodded and jabbed his thumb over his shoulder, "Yeah, I work at the embassy." I froze and attempted to keep my composure. Nepal might not have an extradition treaty, but that didn't mean someone couldn't tip off Ross and send people out here.

"Really? I didn't pin you for a white-collar kind of man," I said, unable to stop the conversation just yet. If I up and left now, it would look suspicious.

"And I didn't pin you as an alcoholic. Though the media did tend to glorify the Avengers until Lagos, huh?"

I choked on the liquid in my mouth and coughed a few times, which drew a few eyes in our direction. The hell with this, what was he playing at? I jerked up from my seat, but a soft touch on my arm stopped me from storming away.

"I knew who you were the first time I saw you a few weeks ago. If I were going to sell you out, I would have done it by now. You just seemed like you could use someone to talk to. Being alone can drive you mad," he reasoned, holding me in place with just his eyes, which shone with genuine understanding.

I opened my mouth, but no words came out as I stood there debating. Part of me wanted to dart, but another part wanted to stay, wanted to believe him.

"Why wouldn't you alert anyone from home? I'm sure you'd get something out of it." I whispered, not wanting anyone to overhear.

"Rumor has it that some nasty things went down in that prison. Everyone deserves to be treated humanely, no matter what laws were broken," he shrugged, sipping his drink nonchalantly. I kept my eyes glued to him but sat back down finally. "Can I ask what happened to you guys?"

"No, I don't wanna talk about it. I don't think you really want to know anyway," I told him coldly. I shoved the memories that threatened to surface back down, not wanting to think about it.

"That's fair," he nodded, not pushing the matter.

We made small talk for a while, and I was finally able to relax once I realized he was probably telling the truth. No one had come to drag me away, and he hadn't pulled out a phone the entire time we had been conversing.

"No ring, so I'm assuming you're not married," I observed. He smirked and shook his head.

"No missus. Just haven't found the right person I guess," he answered thoughtfully, "I don't see one on your finger either. I'd say it's safe to assume your engagement was called off. Plus, I doubt Captain America would let his girl hang out in a bar every night and I haven't seen him around."

"No one lets me do anything," I hissed, sticking my tongue out like a child. This earned me a roaring laugh and he leaned closer, indifferent to my attitude.

"I didn't mean it like that; I swear."

I sighed and decided to answer his question, "We spilt up. We had some... irreconcilable differences. I'm sure by now he's probably glad it happened after I just walked out-"

I snapped my mouth shut, realizing I was probably divulging too much. He didn't want my sob story, but something about him just made me want to open up.

"That's rough. I highly doubt he'd feel that way, though. Letting someone like you get away was a mistake on his part, and I'm sure he's kicking himself for it," he told me in a soft voice. I smiled for the first time in months at the kind words.

Several more hours went by as we talked and drank. Once the room began spinning slightly, I cut myself off. There was no way I'd make it back to the hotel if I kept going til the sun was up. I hadn't realized how much we had drank.

"I should be heading out. Do you want me to walk you home?" he offered, definitely not as drunk as I was.

"Thanks, but that's alright. I'll be fine," I declined. I made sure no one ever followed me back. And just because he seemed like a nice guy didn't mean I was taking any chances.

"It was a pleasure, Katherine," he purred, thankfully using the name I had given him earlier. He gave my cheek a friendly peck in farewell. "I hope to see you here again another night. Just maybe not as drunk."

I threw a crumpled napkin at him in response, and he snickered as he slipped out the door. Honestly, I hoped I saw him again, too. It was nice feeling normal for a while.

Seriously wanting to go face plant in my bed, I paid my tab and made my way outside as well. Chase was long gone, so I slowly made my way through the city streets. My balance was iffy and my vision still untrustworthy. I was just thankful I didn't feel like vomiting this time.

I was only five minutes away from the hotel when I turned down the alley that connected to my street. Halfway down the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I haphazardly glanced behind me. I was being followed.