You're my Favorite Person

"Morgan! Steve!" I called through the silent house. Neither of them answered and I sighed loudly. Tony would kick my ass if we were late again.

"Morgan," I sung out, "You know your parents only agreed that you could stay this weekend was if I brought you back on time."

Tony and Pepper were flying out for some get together on Pepper's side of the family. Tony and I had no one, so he was adamant that Morgan knew what family she did have. I was honestly still surprised he allowed her over at all, extended stays at that. He and Steve still hadn't spoken, but he didn't deny a relationship between the two. Which I was grateful for, and I knew Steve was too.

I stomped up the stairs and began looking in all the usual hiding spots. It was a hassle to get her to be willing to leave; she was only four, but she had her dad's attitude already.

"Steven Grant," I hollered down the hall with a quiet chuckle, "you know better."

There was a faint giggle and then a soft shush followed it. I silently opened the bathroom door, shaking my head as I entered. They were both troublemakers. I snatched the edge of the shower curtain and yanked it back swiftly.

"I found you," I snorted, eyeing the two of them hiding in the tub. Morgan shrieked in laughter and Steve outright laughed at the look on my face. He stood up, lifting her as he climbed out of the bathtub.

"I think you gave us away," he whispered to her accusingly.

"No, I didn't," she told him loudly.

He gave her a dramatic, disbelieving look and she immediately copied him. I didn't understand how they could always make the same exact face. I laughed as we exited the room. She clung to Steve, eyeing me knowingly.

"We have to leave soon, Morgan," I reminded her.

"Okaaaay-" she drawled with a heavy breath, "Can we do magic first?"

"Hmmm-"

I put my fingers to my chin as I pretended to ponder over her request. She huffed impatiently, glancing between Steve and I.

"Uncle Steve said you would."

"Of course, he did," I smirked, eyeing him in amusement.

He shrugged sheepishly and said, "I can't seem to tell her no."

I burst into laughter and reached out for her, placing her on my hip. She was growing way too fast; it was like they years had just slipped by.

"Fine, but only for a few minutes. Then I really have to get you to your mom and dad."

She grinned triumphantly and we went outside. I set her on her feet, and she ran a few yards away, waiting. Glancing at the sky, it grew grey, snow falling freely. Morgan jumped up and down in excitement and chased the white flakes.

"You're a sucker," I told Steve as he stopped next to me. He shook his head in amusement.

"Maybe, but so are you," he pointed out, gesturing to our personal flurry.

"Yeah, I guess so," I mused. I waved an arm toward Morgan, a pile of snow materializing next to her. Without hesitation she jumped in it; I was glad I had the ability to keep her dry.

"We've never talked about having kids," Steve suddenly blurted, causing me to look over in surprise.

"I think we have."

"In passing maybe, but not seriously."

I kept an eye on my niece as she entertained herself but turned to Steve. "So, I'm assuming this is you telling me you want them?"

"I do, but if you don't then-"

"I do," I interrupted, pausing as I considered my next words, "I told you before I'm not sure- I don't know if I can. When I was experimented on, they could have taken that from me."

I had never seen a specialist because I was a coward. I hadn't been ready then anyway, so there hadn't been a need. Though, I had always been on some form of birth control just in case. Morgan was still running and jumping through the piles of snow around us, laughing uncontrollably.

Steve stared at me for a moment, his face softening. "It couldn't hurt to try. At least if that's what you want. I told you I'm happy with any life I get with you."

"You're right. And I do. You'd be the absolute best father," I told him with a grin, my hand resting on his cheek. He leaned down and kissed me softly.

"Ew- gross!" Morgan cried, and we broke apart in hushed laughter. I raised my hands up as if I had been caught and knelt beside her, holding one hand out to stop the snow from continuing. "Where's your ring?"

"Huh?" I asked her, confused.

"Mommy has a ring from daddy. Where's yours from Uncle Steve?"

My instinct was to reach for the chain around my neck, but I didn't. How could I explain to an almost five year old the complexity of why we weren't married? We wanted to, but with everything that had happened and trying to adjust... it just hadn't happened.

"I don't wear one like your mommy does because we aren't married."

"Why not?"

The corners of my mouth twitched as I answered, "We just haven't decided to yet, but that doesn't mean we don't love each other like your mommy and daddy do."

"Oh," she paused with her lips pursed, "but you live together."

"We do. That's cause he's one of my favorite people. Humans tend to keep their favorite people close, so they live together, like us. And like your parents. They don't always have to be married," I pulled her close with a smile, "You know what, though?"

"What?"

I whispered dramatically to her, "Don't tell your Uncle Steve, but you're my most favorite person in the whole world."

She flashed a devious grin at him over my shoulder, and I could hear him chuckling under his breath. Her attention fixed back to me, and she whispered, "You're my favorite person, too."