23

"Do you remember the night I hurt you?" Machi's voice was low, clearly not wanting others to eavesdrop. Your current vision, however, told you that everyone was listening at a nearby broken window. It didn't matter and you didn't think to mention it.

"Night you blind me? Yeah, I remember." You rolled your eyes and began laying out your materials in a drafting of your sculpture.

"Do you remember why?" She asked hesitantly.

"I go out with market boy you no like. I do it again so you blind me."

"Is that all you remember?" She pushed, pushing herself closer to the wall in hopes of being shielded from the rain by the overhang.

"Yes, memory blocked out by BAD PAIN OF LOSING EYES," You scoffed. "If you only say bad memory, can you go?"

"Well, I wanted you to think about it again... maybe your nen will help you remember more clearly..."

With a huff, you looked at her and rolled your eyes again. But you did drift back into your mind a bit to try and see if you could remember anything more.

You screamed as your head was yanked back again from behind. Machi loomed over you in what seemed to be annoyance. "Will you knock it off!? I'm working as fast as I can for this condition!"

"Liar. You do this! You is fine! " Machi shook her head, making her nen stitches move slightly in your eyes. Wait... You thought to yourself. Why is she fixing me if she blinded me?

"Idiot, walking around like that with that boy when you're already so vulnerable." Guilt... maybe? But you re-evaluated the sound of her voice. Was it annoyance, or concern?

"No blood if you no stab!" You protested as you were shoved to a bed. "You bad! You bad sister! I hate you!"

"Shut up or I'll sew your lips shut." Machi knelt beside you and produced a Nen thread. "Help me take off what's left of your shirt." You looked like you were going to pass out from the pain, but began to peel off your blood-stained shirt from your blood-slick skin.

Machi watched without a word. You had taken grievous injuries, yes. One had even been from her. But why did you have more just eye injuries? You were usually so quick in both evasion that Machi couldn't even smack the back of your head. But now she... or whatever it had been... half-killed you, causing you enough pain that you needed Machi's nen stitches. You may have looked tiny and harmless, but behind you stood a very powerful sister.

Expertly biting off the thread and dropping it through the needle, she began sewing you up more generally. "He would have killed you if I hadn't come."

"When I see again?" Your voice had been less than a whine. She didn't respond. Her hands were a blur as they passed over your torn flesh, leaving nothing but perfect skin without any sign of stitching. Only the sticky clothes and stains on your skin attested to the wounds ever having existed. "You do good work," Your voice was softer. "Why no see now?"

"You're never going to again," Machi retorted. Machi stared at you impassively for a moment, then reached out a hand to caress your cheek, and you leaned into it. "Maybe now you'll understand how much you need me. You bitch-- I was worried about you. What if he had taken you far away? Away from me?"

"I sorry," tears bubbled up in your throat and you tried to swallow them back down.

"Love has never had a place in our family. We only have each other. And we could lose each other any time. I'd rather you hate me than end up dead."

"You scared." Your voice made Machi jump a bit, as you had been quiet a long while. "You scared be alone."

"And now Feitan wants to take you away from me." She murmured.