46

"I no say no to Machi. I no say no to people at all. I want to have left Meteor City now, but I still here. I still with Machi. I still no make art. No one make me. Maybe some persons intimidate me," You shot your eyes at your half-sister, "but no one make. No chains, no threads. My fault."

"That's an interesting way to look at it." Chrollo sat back and thought. "I suppose I was a bit dire. There's no reason you couldn't have a happily ever after staying here. I am sure Feitan and Machi would protect you. I will be honest though, I am fully intending to send Feitan away on numerous trips of which you certainly would not be welcome to join."

Machi's ears perked up at that. She already had a plan, but that didn't mean it wasn't open to alterations. "Why couldn't she come along? What if Feitan and I have to be gone together? Or the whole Troupe?"

"She survived before, didn't she? I am confident her life would continue on, as planned. And you would be more than free to send her away to a rich man for safekeeping, as you had originally planned. Isn't this your ideal outcome, Machi? Why are you asking questions?"

"I... Well, I just need to know. I need to take care of my baby sister. You're saying that she doesn't and would never have the Troupe's protection?" Her voice was small and you felt a little bit uncomfortable hearing it.

"She is not a part of this Troupe and she does not bring any true benefit. As I said before, she is and was able to stay longer than she was supposed to. However, as soon as you or Feitan leave, she becomes a liability with knowledge of us that I don't particularly want to be spread." Chrollo's voice was cold and even the blood in your veins seemed to freeze over at the tone. "Little, you are most certainly on borrowed time. The next time it rains, I will be taking your Nen. And when both Feitan and Machi are slated to leave, oh say the day after it rains again, your time will be over here."

Machi and Feitan both cried out, but Chrollo held up a hand to silence them. "So, I amend my previous statement. There is a reason that you couldn't live happily ever after here in Meteor City. And that reason is, unfortunately, me."

You felt tears flow freely down the usually stoic Machi's face and she rushed over to you and put your hands on her cheeks. "We have to go. Leave. I will find somewhere to hide you."

"Hide her as you may, I will always be able to fi--"

"No need." You held up a hand to stop Chrollo this time and pulled your big sister into a rare embrace. "I no live life in hiding. I enjoy next dry days in dark and in love. Then, I die." Feitan's eyes, although you couldn't see them, were colder and harder than anyone in the room had ever seen them. Although the next words out of his mouth were not a surprise, not one person ever believed they would come out of the dark man's mouth.

"She die, I kill everyone in room. Rising Sun."

The pain he would be in, emotionally, would be enough to wipe out all of Meteor City. That, he was sure of.