35

He hummed. "But where's the fun in that? I should like to know immediately."

"You are welcome to come with me." Your knuckles tightened once more subconsciously, and you had to consciously remove the hesitancy from your face. Your trick had been working, evidently, but this was a wrench in the plan. "I have no reason to trick you. I know that the sample should be onyx, but I do not even know the type of the other gemstone. I will simply tell you what its composition is. And as you can see," you lifted your glasses, showing your blank eyes, "I cannot cheat such a test."

"Hmm," he remarked. Time was closing near when you needed to be at the arranged spot. Yet, you couldn't seem in a rush. You play idly with the hem of your shirt, cast a sidelong glance towards the right side of the room and then drift your eyes until you catch his eye. At least you thought you had.

"If you are busy, we can schedule an appointment. I can come back in a month or so."

"No, no, it won't be necessary," He relents quickly and walks over, grabbing your arm. "Come with me, it's only next door. I have the two stones in my hand."

Your cheeks color slightly with irritation. "I don't need to be led. I can see your aura and follow it. So long as we don't stumble into any pits or off a roof."

"Very well then." He relinquished you and continued walking. "How many batches have been fakes? Out of the ones you have seen."

"I have seen them all. There is not another with my gift. Out of the seventy-six authentications I have completed over the past two months, precisely twenty-two have been 'fakes', as you called them." You sniffed as if in contempt. You were talking complete nonsense as far as you were concerned, but you had to continue the charade. You barely smirked at him, your expression just visible. "We will soon see if this becomes twenty-three," you teased lightly. "Though, for your sake, I do hope it will not be."

He says nothing at that -- either a sign of his growing irritation or his sudden surge to remain silent and not wish the worst upon himself. As most CEO's in the world, he had grown up wealthy and dripping with privilege. Given his inherently prideful nature-- you were sure he was always spoiled rotten-- you can hardly imagine it to be the former. Hearing the door open and close, you take a few more steps forward. It doesn't smell like a bathroom, so it must certainly be a private suite. You figure if you can't manage to incite his pride, to throw him off his game, you'll be stuck with a level-headed CEO who knows what he's talking about.

Five minutes left, roughly. You'll need to think of something.

You gently tug the sleeves of your shirt up, as if getting down to business. Authoritatively, you held out your hand. A heavy, yet smooth rock was placed into it, and it reflexively dropped down a few inches. "Certainly heavy enough to be onyx." You stated with a laugh, "But start the water and we shall see."

Quietly, a stream of water began to fall and light up in front of you. Carefully, you placed the rock within the stream's puddle.

"It's pure chalcedony, that I can be sure of." You nodded. "Onyx, in other words."