18

"Are you in here talking trash about me? Telling lies?" Machi narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms. "Feitan, I said, get out."

"I am out. I in doorway. Danchou no say door has to be closed."

"That's right! I didn't specify! Honestly, we all want the door open for this..." He muttered the last part. Most of the Troupe was sitting in the hallway, eyeing you and your sister.

"Whatever. You might call me "overprotective and overbearing", but you just doesn't understand. It's a sister's job to watch out for trash guys who want to steal you away. The other day I saw a man raping a woman in the alley. Raping her. Right there, in the open. When I confronted him, he said it was his wife, and he could do what he wanted. Excuses, excuses. I killed him, of course, but what if that had been you? I am trying to protect you, you know. If you interact with a bunch of men, you never know who may be eyeing you for more nefarious purposes."

"No one ask you to protect me." You muttered. "You do more harm than good."

"As far as you know. And you don't know anything about the real world."

"You no let me out!" You yelled a bit, but quickly cowered back as she approached you.

"I have made a second job out of this."

"I no ask for that. I ask to be alone." You whimpered as her hands grasped your shoulders. "I ask. I beg. You always say no"

"I don't understand how could you do this to me? I know I get angry sometimes, but it's all for you. Everything I do is for you!"  The Troupe was entranced by this argument. No one ever argued like this in the group; but then again, no one had family. Feitan was counting down the seconds until he could ensure Machi was gone and your face wouldn't be creased with fear. It was truly surprising that you even fought back, at all. Even the Troupe hesitated to get into a conflict with her.

"You blind me for me?" The sarcasm leaked into your voice. This shocked Feitan, but everyone else just seemed to accept it as a fact of life.

"And I would do it again. You just doesn't understand what a good sister I am. I'm there to ward off any guys who want to take your innocence. In fact, I started looking."

"For what?" You asked nervously.

"A husband for you."

"Hey!" Feitan's voice interrupted, earning Machi's fiery eyes in his direction. "No your job!"

"It is my job! Someone has to take care of her!"

"I can care for self..." you muttered

"I care for her!" Feitan protested.

"You're not her sister! You are just another man who wants to use her and discard her. And who's there to pick up the pieces?! Me! As if I don't have better things to do."

"Like your job." Chrollo added in.

"Like my job." Machi nodded.

"I can do better job than you." Feitan narrowed his eyes. "Danchou, want make bet."

"No!" Machi rolled her eyes. "He's already got his wish; she's here now instead of out making her art. Isn't that bad enough?"

"She makes a good point..." Chrollo thought to himself. "Was anyone going to kill her the old-fashion way? Anyone still need their time with her?" The Troupe shook their heads, while you certainly hoped no one would say yes. You took the silence as a positive sign. "Feitan, Machi, come with me, let's discuss a challenge."