30

"And Feitan, you're on a special request mission. You're to take our Little Sister here and gather her resources. I've commissioned something very special from her."

Murdering, pillaging, thieving. Everything, Machi thought, you were supposedly against and  what you'd thought– foolishly, it seemed– that you would continue to be against. You had never been much of a talker, growing up, and still weren't. She would only get glimpses into your mind if you were in a particularly chatty mood, and that was rare. Your nose was always buried in your artwork.

Meteor City united people or pitted them  against each other; there was no in-between she figured. For the two young children, who found each other over a decade ago, you and Machi had fallen in the first category. You had spoken in funny words she didn't understand, and seemed content with or without her company, but you'd taken to having food brought to you instead of digging through the mounds of trash to find  food to eat. You adored the warm clothes to wear and it was much easier avoiding the gangs and  assassins that wandered around when Machi was there to protect you.

But there was no innocence in Meteor City. Even your early artwork reflected that. Starving children and half-eaten corpses littered your art books. There was a generally distrusting nature within you, that even Machi had to contend with. You learned over the years how to fight, what spots were best to avoid raids and shootouts, and you did it all together. It was a friendship of necessity, but a friendship nonetheless. Or so she thought. Now, you were being stolen from her. And the thought was killing her.

"Do you know what it's like to be rich?" Feitan asked you as he accepted the assignment. "The gangs around here used to always talk about it. They thought it was 'cool'. But it's not cool. It's empowering. Rich people can do whatever they want, whenever." He shrugged, but grinned. He seemed to be in a talkative mood today. You liked him this way.

"It sounds boring to me. People have to work for money, you know. As an artist, I prefer to work in creative bursts. And that certainly doesn't lead to salary"

"No, no, you misunderstand my wealth. I just take whatever you want. That's what the good thieves do."

"I don't want to be a thief."

Feitan shrugged again. "Luckily, I am! So, what would you like to make your art? Gold? Rubies? Onyx? Marble? Name it and I will steal it for you."

"You're silly," you giggled. "I actually only need a few materials. Although, I will admit, onyx is very tempting."

"Onyx it is." He placed your hand on his arm. "I wish you could see your sister's face right now. Then, you might ask me to run away with you. And I would, of course, say yes."