Chapter Seven

The next morning, I wake up sweaty and disoriented. A quick look at my phone tells me it's only nine o'clock.

I sigh as what happened last night floats into my mind. All of the things I learned. All of the things he learned. I push those thoughts aside, for now. I have to pack for band camp because the check in is tomorrow.

I stand up and stretch then head down stairs. My mom is running around as usual.

"Where are you going?" I ask, grabbing a bagel to eat.

"We're going to clean the shop and to the mall. If you want to come we can stop by Barnes and Noble." She looks at me hopefully.

"Yeah sure." I shrug. "Just let me go get dressed and grab some gift cards.

I run up the stairs happily. It'd been a long time since I got a new book from the store. As I pull on a random pair of shorts and a shirt I think about what book I might want.

You can't call me a nerd because I'm a geek... get it right.

When I finally finish getting ready, I head downstairs and we leave.

Our first stop is the shop. My Aunt Darlene owns a hair salon that she pays my mom to clean every week. We normally end up here on Sundays.

I walk inside and go to the back room to get the cleaning supplies used for the counters. My mom turns on the music and we have fun singing and cleaning. Before I knew it we were done.

Our next stop was Barnes and Noble. I walk inside and close my eyes breathing in the smell of the books. When I open them I see Olivia is already pulling my mom to the "Kid's" section. I start walking to the "Teen Fiction" and "Teen Fantasy" sections.

My taste in books really varies depending. I typically read anything about supernaturals. Vampires and witches especially. However, I do enjoy the favorites like Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars. My favorite series was the Vampire Academy series and the not yet finished spin-off series, Bloodlines by Richelle Mead.

I turn into the new releases aisle and start skimming. Like most shopping of any kind, it doesn't take long before I notice what I want. I'd been waiting to read The Maze Runner for a long time so I grabbed that along with the latest Bloodlines book. I had already read it, but I didn't actually own it.

I head back to the "Kid's" section and find my mom and Olivia arguing over books.

"What'd you get?" My mom asks smiling. I let her see and tell her I'll go pay and be back.

When I get up to the checkout I set my books on the counter and grab my money.

After paying I go back to my mom who has finally convinced Olivia to pick out some princess book, despite my urges toward The Magic Treehouse books.

Ten minutes later we finally enter the mall and start heading to Justice, Olivia's favorite store. We spend twenty minutes in the store before Olivia picks out what she wants.

After paying and checking a few other stores for anything else my mom might want we finally start heading home.

Shopping for books, I like. Anything else, not so much.

When we finally get home it's one o'clock. I go upstairs and start reading my book. A couple pages in, my phone vibrates. I grab it, not taking my eyes off the page until I notice it's Jackson.

I open my phone quickly.

Hey.

Well, good to know nothing has changed I guess.