Chapter Twenty

No one knows what to say. It's not the end of the world, but seriously?

"So," Mr. Smith continues "you guys can stand in place and play the music...or just march it without lines."

Someone yells to do it without lines and there's a chorus of cheers after. Pride shines in Mr. Smith's eyes. We can do this.

We all stand up to get in line, still not speaking much. Everyone is getting serious.

The drum majors lead us over to the field and even the parents look pissed that there aren't any lines. Mr. Richards's voice comes on over the loud speaker, announcing us.

Everyone cheers when he announces we will be preforming without the lines.

Isabel gets on the podium and counts us off and we start marching.

I'm totally not even playing. My valves are too sticky, so if I play it'll sound bad anyways! We go through the show for the millionth time this week. Yeah, we made mistakes, but who cares? (Besides Mr. Smith) We all went out and had a good time!

When the show is over, we march back to the school to get our luggage.

"That was so much fun!" I gush to Catie and Fern.

"Yeah, I'm ready to go home." Fern announce and Catie nods.

We go to the luggage truck, and once we have all of our things we find our parents.

I see Kyle and Jackson by Jackson's truck and look one last time before going over to my mom, Jeremy and Livy.

"You guys were so good!" My mom says.

"Thanks mom!" I hug her.

I'd rather be at camp than at home.

We all pile in the car and start home. Seeing Jackson pretty much all day for five days was amazing, but now that we're home... what happens? Neither of us really said anything during band camp, I'm dying to ask him about it.

What if he was just messing with me? I can't imagine why he would like me anyways.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by car doors slamming... and we're home. I won't get to see Jackson until Wednesday! Okay, I'm getting pathetic, we're not even dating.

I get out of the car and stretch, then grab my suitcase and trudge to my room. I make sure to take a shower before sitting down. Then I have to unpack and put everything away because I'm a clean freak! When I'm finally done, I collapse on my bed and pass out.

The next morning, I wake up groggy and still tired. I should just roll over and go back to sleep, I have nothing to do until Wednesday! So I do.

A few hours later, my phone is ringing crazily.

"Hello?" I answer half yawning.

"Did I wake you up?" Mom asks in her way too loud voice.

"No, no of course not!" I hastily answer. If she finds out I've been sleeping all day, she'll be super pissy about it.

"Oh, alright well I'll be home in about ten minutes and we're going out to eat so be ready!" Seriously, why is she yelling?

"Cool, I just have to put some shoes on!" I lie and we hang up.

I jump up and throw my phone on the bed then run over to my closet. Random jeans, random t-shirt. I run to the bathroom, ponytail and random headband. Brush teeth. Run back to room, put on shoes. Run downstairs to be ready. Stop and think about what you forgot. Run back upstairs, grab phone. Pause for five seconds...make the bed. Run back downstairs.