Chapter Nine

My mouth drops open and my phone falls out of my hand. He... he likes me? I mean, he can't like me. Well okay actually he technically can.

I take a deep breath to calm down. Okay I have to answer. Maybe this is all just a joke.

Wait, what?

Yeah just forget about it. He answers right away.

No, no. I'm sorry, I was just asking.

Oh.

This was still just too insane.

So, now what? I ask.

Idk. Look I should probably go to bed, big day tomorrow.

I can't help but feel disappointed, he just told me how he feels and now he's leaving. I sigh and say goodnight anyway because it is 2:00 in the morning.

What on Earth am I supposed to do now? I have to spend five days with him. Five awkward days.

***

I wake up at five thirty the next morning and all of last night comes crashing down at once. My stomach is a mix of nervousness and excitement as I think about my week.

I get out of bed and begin getting ready. I put my hair up in a ponytail since I know it will be very hot. Ten minutes later I walk downstairs with my carry-on bag and head to the car with my mom right behind me.

"Excited?" she asks.

"Very." I reply smiling. A whole week away from my mom and annoying little sister.

"Nervous?"

"I don't get nervous." Which was true for the most part, unless I was around Jackson. He makes me fear messing up more than anyone else.

My thoughts of Jackson are interrupted as we pull up to the school and my mom tells me to get out. I take a deep breath, say goodbye to my mom and start into the school.

Once inside I notice Riley standing in a corner.

"Hey what's up?" I ask walking up to her and setting my bag down.

"Nothing much" she shrugs, "just waiting for the rooming assignments to be posted. Where's Catie?"

I glance down at my phone to see if Catie had texted me. She hadn't. "No idea." I tell Riley.

We stand there for about five more minutes before Catie comes up to us. "I'm so tired!" she whines.

"No, don't be tired, be excited!" I say and start jumping up and down chanting "Band camp."

I start spinning in circle but stop as soon as Jackson walks around the corner. He barely even glances at me as he moves to the doors with the other section leaders posting rooming assignments. My breath catches in my throat and my face heats up.

As I start to calm down, a senior named Leah came up and told us that she was in the same room and Catie and me along with Fern and a few of our other friends.

"Oh good we got the same room as Fern!" Catie says.

"Yeah, too bad we got separated though." Says Riley.

Before anyone else can say anything Mr. Smith comes to the front and starts speaking. "Everyone can start loading the buses as soon as you get your rooming assignments, just make sure you check in with the adult on your bus."