Chapter Six

As Catie and I walk into the school we see Riley, another one of our friends who plays alto saxophone.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask setting my case down and getting my instrument out once again.

"Not a lot." She shrugs. "I'm still trying to find someone to room with. Do you know if Fern has anyone yet?"

"I think she's rooming with her cousin." Catie jumps in.

"Well you can ask her tomorrow because she won't be here tonight." I say.

"Why not?" Riley asks.

"She has the fair." Catie says.

"Oh yeah!" Riley nods her head. "I knew that."

We stand up just as the drum majors come out and start telling us to go outside.

When most everyone is out there and in a concert arc, we have to do warm ups.

You would think that it'd be really easy after Jackson and Kyle taught us them right? Wrong. None of the freshmen could do it so we pretty much stood there marking time and looking at each other for fingerings.

After suffering through warm ups, we all stand in attention (more or less) and wait for instructions from Mr. Smith.

"Stand by section and make sure you know how many you have." He orders.

We all start to disperse. Catie and I start moving towards all of the trumpets.

"Stand still, I have to count!" Jackson says, clearly annoyed.

"Okay, we have nineteen." He crosses his arms happy with that answer.

"Fern's not here." I say barely looking at him.

He glares at me before sighing, "Okay. Twenty of us. Thank you."

Mr. Smith tells Jackson and Kyle to separate into ten and ten and go on either sides of the 50 yard line.

Jackson starts to point at people. "You, you, you, you," his hand hovers over me for a second before pointing at Catie instead. "You guys go with Kyle, the rest of you come with me."

Catie and I groan and move in separate directions.

When we get over there we have to set up two lines and one person on the outside of some mellophones.

I end up one person away from Jackson and with a "Permanent hole" in front of me. I also take note of where Fern will be, right behind me, so I can tell her tomorrow. At least we get to stand next to each other.

Once everyone is set we play our school's Fight Song in place a couple times and then we start working on our movements.

All of the moves were in eight counts which made it pretty easy I guess, but I was still very confused. Since we were in "Block C" we went left sixteen then turned around (But it looked smooth) and then right twenty four. Then we all went forward eight, left eight, and backwards eight. After that we split up by lines, my specific line kept going backwards eight and then forward sixteen. Piece of cake, right?

No. Not even close.

It took forever to even get the first few movements down. It didn't help that we had to keep stopping because of people talking.

When Mr. Smith was done trying to get us to pay attention and it was eight o'clock, we were dismissed.

I started walking, looking for Catie. "HAZZA!!!!!" I heard her yell as she ran towards me.

I laughed as we started walking back towards the school. "Soo, how was it?" I asked.

"I kind of hate you for making me do this." She says to me.

"You'll thank me some day!" I assure her, smiling.

"You know, that's what you keep saying, but I'm doubting it more and more as this goes on!" She laughs.

"Just trust me!" I say as we start putting our things away.

When we finish, I walk outside and search for my mom's car. During my search, I notice Jackson and Kyle by Jackson's truck and my stomach cramps up a little.

I turn away and notice my mom's car finally.

I put my trumpet in the back and climb in.

"How was it?" my mom asks as I buckle up.

"It was good, a lot of work." I say closing my eyes.

"Are you hungry? I made Sloppy Joes."

"Yes!" I groan, "I'm so hungry!"

When we get home, I eat and go upstairs to take a shower. After my shower, I plug my phone in and lay down. I have a new message. From Jackson.

I ignore the twinge of excitement I feel in my stomach as I open it.

Hey.

Really?

What do you want? I type, getting annoyed at how he thinks he can ignore me in person, but thinks it's totally okay to text me.

Idk. Whats wrong.

Okay, A, it's "what's or what is" not "whats" Second, "What's wrong" is a question, which needs a question mark.

I roll my eyes and start to answer.

Oh nothing, just you know you totally ignored me today and you think you can just text me out of the blue?

Sorry. He says.

Wait seriously? Just sorry? That's it?

Whatever.

Please don't be mad. Let's just play 20 questions again.

Well, maybe he just didn't realize it...what's the harm in playing some 20 questions?

Okay, but you first. I give in.

We ask random questions back and forth for hours until it seems we've asked everything.

I can't think of anything else to ask. I say.

Well I can... but I don't know what you'd be willing to answer.

I think about that for a second. What would I be willing to answer?

Try me. I say feeling very gutsy.

Bra size? He asks.

Why is that the first thing every guy asks? I think back to previous games with other guys. I don't even know what size I am!

I get out of bed and walk over to my closet. 36C. Good to know.

36C. I tell him. What's the big deal? I'm only telling him what he can already see.

Cool

Yeah okay, I guess? I laugh to myself. Now, what to ask him. I really don't care about how big his penis is. Honestly no interest.

Are you a virgin? I ask, waiting in anticipation.

Yeah.

Fair enough.

We keep asking questions back and forth. Things no one has ever known about me, this guy now knows.

But, I also learned a lot about him. I can't believe he told me everything he did.

I asked him numerous times why he trusted me with all of this information. Each time the answer was "Idk, why do you?"

I never really had an answer. There was just something about him that made me want to tell him all of my secrets.

Tomorrow, however, I'd have to face him in person. And then after that, all day for five days.

As I lay down and finally start falling asleep, I have a thought of doubt that wasn't there before.

What if he tells someone my secrets, and more importantly, what if I can't keep his?