Chapter Seventeen

"Time check?" Fern groans turning over in her bed.

"We have..." I glance at my watch, "TEN MINUTES."

"Thank you, Emily." She smiles at me.

"If we want to be late..." I mumble after she looks away.

We get our things together and head to the sectional. Surprise, Mr. Davis and Mr. Richards are both here today! Yay.

"We're going to do something different today. Third parts, you guys come with me." Mr. Richards walks over to the other side of the chapel.

We all follow and get in a smaller arc. It's really pretty back here, too bad we're only allowed here for sectionals.

"Okay, let's run the first few measures of the last song." Mr. Richards says, looking at the music.

We play through the song, Stronger Everyday, only stopping when we mess up.

"Okay, try again." Mr. Richards is clearly losing patients. We have gone over the same measure five times now and someone is still playing it wrong.

We run it again, only to get cut off by Jackson coming around the corner.

I completely mess up what I was playing and both Fern and Catie look at me like I'm insane.

I ignore them and listen to what Jackson is saying. "Soo, yeah. It's time to go over with everyone else so we can march down to the field."

"Alright thank you. Go ahead guys." Mr. Richards says shaking his head.

We walk over to the picnic tables and sit down for a couple minutes before Stacey stands up and calls us into attention.

"I am so over this." Fern groans as we find our way to our spots for the millionth time this week.

"Same." I agree as we're called into attention again.

We start marching and I think Fern might have a heart attack because low brass is playing again. I shake my head and try not to smile.

We get to the field and Mr. Smith tells us to set up the last set of the second song.

"Well shi- wait what...?" Catie says confused.

We all burst out laughing then look at our set cards to remember where we're supposed to go.

"Alright." Mr. Smith calls once we're all set. "Second set of the third song, go."

Everyone scrambles to find where they're going and help out people who still don't understand.

We get through a few sets before confusion sets it. "Are we supposed to turn around and march or march backwards?" I ask Robby the third time we run a movement."

He shrugs at me and turns away.

"Well ask Jackson!" I say, getting more annoyed by the minute.

He gives me a "you're crazy" look and goes back to his music.

I mentally groan and yell over to Jackson, "Are we supposed to turn around or not?!"

"I don't know!" He yells back.

"Don't ask Mr. Smith or anything!" I mumble, shaking my head.

Finally, Mr. Smith looks away from the flutes for more than five seconds and tells us to turn around since we're not playing anyways.

We run through the few sets we know a few more times and then we get a surprise from the band moms. Popsicles!

Mr. Smith tells us we have ten minutes to relax, use the bathroom, and eat popsicles.