Chapter Eight

I wake up to my phone buzzing. I look over and see a couple messages from Riley.

When are you going? She asks.

I look at the clock, ten o'clock. Check in is from one to three.

Probably like 1:15ish. I answer and then stand up and stretch.

I grab some clothes and walk to the bathroom. As I shower I think about band camp tomorrow. Everyone says it's normally really hot and hard. I still could barely play the one piece of music we have already.

After my shower, I walk into my room and see my phone lighting up. My mind immediately goes to Jackson. Would I see him today? Section leaders have a meeting so he'll probably be there all day...

My thoughts get cut off by my mom walking in. "Hey can you do the dishes for me please?" she asks.

"Yeah sure, just give me a couple seconds." I put my towel in the dirty clothes, grab my phone, and head downstairs.

On the way down I read my text from Riley telling me she's not going until about two. I reach the kitchen and plug my phone in, listening to One Direction.

"I'M JUST A TEENAGE DIRT BAG BABY LIKE YOU!!!!" I yell/ sing as I wash and dry the dishes. When I'm finally done it's about twelve forty.

I go upstairs and grab my suitcase and pillow, lugging them down the stairs with some difficulty.

"Don't worry! I got it!" I say to my mom as she gets in the car. I put my things in the trunk and get in.

On the ride there my mom asks continuous questions, "You're sure you have sunscreen?"

"Yes."

"Bug spray?"

"Mhm."

"Toothbrush?"

"Yes mom, I have it all."

We pull up to the school and I notice the doors aren't even open yet. We get out of the car and go over to the end of the already forming line.

"At least we got here early." My mom says.

"Mhm." I look around the parking lot and my heart skips a beat when I see Jackson's truck in his usual spot. He must already be here because of the meeting.

I look up as the doors open, and one of the band moms starts explaining what will happen when we get inside. I ignore her, craning my neck to see if I can see Jackson anywhere.

"Who are you looking for?" My mom questions. "Is it that Jackson guy? You and Catie sure talk about him a lot."

"No mom of course not, he's just my section leader." My heart speeds up.

"Good. He's way too old for you anyways. You know one time I tried to sneak out to prom with senior."

I tune out as she tells me her story. Why did my heart start beating faster when I said that? It was the truth, he's just my section leader. So why was I looking for him?

My thoughts were interrupted yet again as we step into the school. I see Jackson standing over by some lockers and my eyes widen. I try to avoid making eye contact with him. As I walk up to the first table I feel his gaze on me.

"Emily Greene." I tell the band mom, doing my best to ignore Jackson.

We finally give my luggage away and start heading out to the car. I search for Jackson again but all I see is more random people checking in.