Chapter Sixteen

"TEN MINUTES, TEN MINUTES 'TILL REVEILLE AND STRETCHES!!"

"Going to scream." Fern mumbles into her pillow.

"Hey it's already Thursday!" I point out, putting on my glasses and climbing down from my bed. "Come on." I nudge Catie.

I wait patiently as Catie and Fern get ready. There is no way I'm going down with Leah today. What a bitch. Jackson doesn't even like her, he told me. Apparently she's been all over him since eighth grade and she thinks anyone who looks at her likes her.

"Let's go already!" Fern says.

We walk silently downstairs and over to the pavilion. Jackson is in his normal spot on one of the benches, looking half asleep. He's so cute.

"Alright," Stacey comes over in her usual sweat pants and hoodie. "Start with blanket stretches."

We go through the different stretches for about ten minutes and then we're dismissed for breakfast.

Fern, Catie, and I go back upstairs to get dressed and brush our teeth before going down to the picnic tables.

"Let's play something like Simon Says." I say.

"No I'm too tired." Fern groans.

"Play the hokey pokey." Kyle laughs. Most of the trumpets get in a big circle and we start singing and dancing. "No, I was just kidding." Kyle says as everyone sits back down.

"Come on! It's fun!" I insist jumping around.

"No, seriously Emily, no one has this much energy in the morning." Kyle shakes his head at me.

Soon we're called to go in to eat.

"Grapes grapes graaaappeeesss!" I sing as we get our silverware.

"Seriously Emily I'm going to slit your throat." Fern warns, pointing her fork at me.

We sit down to eat and talk about the day today.

"Today we get to go to skit night." I say excitedly. "My cousin says it's the most fun ever."

"I just want to go home." Fern moans.

"No we're having so much fun!" I insist.

"We have to go out to the field three more times today." Catie groans.

"You guys are no fun!" I say putting more grapes in my mouth.

We eat the rest of the meal in silence until one of the mellophones drops a cup and everyone claps. Soon we're done eating and we go upstairs to finish getting ready.

"We have..." I glance at my watch "five minutes-"

"To be five minutes early. Thank you." Fern cuts me off.

"Alrighty then." I shrug and put some pencils in my pocket.

"Ready?" Catie asks after grabbing her trumpet.

"Yup." I nod at the same time Fern groans "No."

We make our way back down to the picnic tables to wait to go down to the field...again.

*Annoying ass whistle* "Band ten hut. Get in the red and white block."

I feel like my life is one big moment of déjà vu. I make my way over to my spot with Fern while singing "Animal" by Neon Trees.

We march down to drum cadences and it amazes me how people still mess the vocals up. It's Thursday of band camp and you're a senior. Fern and I exchange "get your shit together" looks.