Chapter Twenty-Four

Early the next morning, my mom receives a call from Olivia. Long story short, we're going home early. We get everything packed up and say goodbye to my Aunt.

I plug in my headphones and tune out the regular highway sounds. I put my music on shuffle and text Jackson.

Hey. I type and close my eyes while waiting for a reply. A couple minutes later I feel the familiar buzz on my leg.

Hi

What's up?

Nothing.

Well that's no fun!

Yea.

Okay, what's going on? Is it just me or is he being really weird?

What's wrong?

Nothing.

Bullshit.

Why are you being so weird then?

I've just been thinking about what you said last night.

Crap.

Oh.

Yea.

Well what about it?

You're right. I shouldn't just sit on the fence.

Okay and?

So we can still talk and everything, I just feel like we should leave the more than friend's conversations out.

I feel the sudden need to cry. Why do I care so much about this guy?

Okay, but I can't do that. I try and act calm and collected.

Well sure you can.

Idiot.

No, I can't.

I'm pretty sure you can.

Stay calm. Stay calm. Don't scream.

I am physically unable to be just friends with you anymore. It is impossible, you took it too far, Jackson. I can't go back to the way it was before. I don't want to listen to you talk about other girls. Goodbye.

Okay.

I put my phone down and repress the urge to cry or scream or both. My mom sure wouldn't like that. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

***

"Emily, we're home." My mom wakes me as we pull into the driveway.

The events from the car ride come rushing back all at once and I feel like throwing up. I should text him back right? Tell him I didn't mean any of it. Tell him that I can do just friends?

I push these thoughts out of my head and grab my bag. No. This is his loss, not mine.

I go upstairs and text Catie. Right now I just need girl time.

Hey, wanna come over? I hit send and flop down on my bed with a vampire book I can't remember the name of.

Yeah sure, let me ask my dad.

A couple minutes later, she says she can come over and I decide I should probably go ask if she is actually allowed to. I walk downstairs and into the kitchen to find my mom.

"Hey mom, can Catie come spend the night?" I ask.

"Yeah, that's fine."

"Okay cool, because she's already on her way." I smile and walk back to my room.

Let's see, when will I have to see Jackson again... today is Tuesday. Ugh, we have a sectional and practice tomorrow. At least coming home early means I won't miss that.

"Catie's here!" My mom yells, yanking me out of my thoughts.

I run down the stairs and open the door to see my best friend. Thank goodness! I grab her hand and pull her in and all the way up the stairs without saying anything.

"Geez, what's wrong with you?" She asks, flopping down on my bed.

I launch into the whole story about Jackson and the dance and him getting my hopes up and then telling him off and him just wanting to be friends. When I'm done, Catie looks at me sympathetically.

"Oh Em, I'm so sorry!" She hugs me and I fight back tears.

"I'm okay, really. I just feel so stupid. I never really had a chance."

"Don't say that! He's the one who led you on for so long." Catie shifts the blame to him.

"Thanks, Catie. You're a really good friend." We let go of each other and put in a movie.

"Can you take me to the sectional, tomorrow?" I ask.

"Yeah, no problem!"

We end up falling asleep somewhere in the middle of the One Direction movie and are awoken when my mom yells for us to come to dinner. We rub our eyes and trudge down the stairs. My mood brightens a little when I notice we're having spaghetti, my favorite!

"So what are your plans tomorrow?" My mom asks when we're all settled with our food.

"Well, we have a sectional at five and then practice from six-thirty to eight."

"And you start school next week! Are you excited?"

I completely forgot about school. Holy cow, it's almost September!

"Yeah super excited!" Catie covers for me and I smile.

When dinner is over we go upstairs and get ready for bed. I check my phone and feel a sense of loss as I stare at the blank screen. This is going to be a long night!

***

The next day I wake up and Catie is still sound asleep next to me. I glance at the clock and see eleven. Wow, I slept pretty late. I move quietly into the bathroom to take a shower without waking Catie.

As I wash my hair, I think about Jackson, of course. I need to stop. Who needs a guy to make them happy? Even if they are super-hot and mysterious. Alright, this is getting nowhere.

I dry myself off and go back in my room to get dressed. Once I put on shorts and a random t-shirt, I jump on the bed to wake up Catie.

"Your hair is wet." She mumbles and pushes me away.

"I took a shower, you're welcome! Now get up so we can practice!" I smile and go in the bathroom to put my hair up. When I get back in my room, Catie is still sleeping. Oh well.

I go downstairs and into the kitchen to make breakfast/lunch. After eating my pizza rolls, cleaning my plate, finishing my book, and watching five episodes of Austin and Ally, Catie finally comes down.

"Dude it's four o'clock, your dad is gonna be here soon."

She groans and trudges back up the stairs only to come down ten minutes later looking dressed and more awake.

We sit on the couch watching TV until her dad beeps the horn. We grab our cases and set cards and go outside. Catie's dad has a huge truck and I always wonder how five foot four Catie is able to get in there.

The ride to the school is short as always. Once we get there, I thank Catie's dad for the ride and get out. We walk up to the group of trumpets, ten minutes to five.

I avoid looking at Jackson, but feel his gaze on me. I try to ignore it and focus on the conversation Catie and Fern are having right in front of me.

At five to five, Jackson calls us into attention and tells us to get into a concert arc. I make my way to the end left side with the rest of the third parts.

"Warm ups!" Jackson calls. We go through all of the warm ups (except the third one, because no one likes that one) and then Jackson puts us in parade rest.

"Okay." He announces. "We're now having playing tests, memorized. Starting with Emily." He points right at me and smirks.

Ugh.