Chapter Twenty-Seven

After everyone left on Saturday, the last few days of summer passed insanely fast. Nothing fun happened on Monday night at practice because everyone was dreading school the next day.

The only exciting thing was Patrick asking me what color my dress was so he could match his tie. He seemed very worried about not getting everything done in time. Homecoming was insanely early this year. (Apparently there was a discount on the band if we had it the first week of school.)

I finish getting my backpack together with all of my new pencils and notebooks before setting my alarm for 6:30am. Even though it was 8:30 and I planned on going to sleep at 9, I turned on Full House.

My mom comes in my room without knocking per usual. At least I can hear her because she never takes off her damn heels.

I push pause on the TV and sit up. "What's up?"

"Oh good you're not sleeping!" She proceeds to open my door completely and sit on my bed. "Are you excited?"

"Always am." I shrug.

"Well I just wanted to say good luck and I love you and I'll see you after school!" She kisses my forehead and I fake smile until she leaves.

The major good thing about school is getting out of the house!

***

I wake up the next morning and turn off my alarm. Yup, already over it. I groan and grab my phone to wake myself up.

Ready in ten. The message is from Fern and I remember she's the one picking me up.

Okay I quickly reply before making my bed and rushing around.

In exactly 9 and a half minutes I'm walking outside to Fern's mom's car. "Good morning all!"

"This sucks my ass." Fern says glumly.

"Fern Ann! Watch your language!" Her mother chastises.

Fern mumbles something I don't hear and thank goodness we're at the school. "Thank you for the ride!" I call, already out of car.

Fern and I walk into the school and over to Catie who is standing with Gertrude and Hannah.

"I'm over it." Catie greets.

"Aren't we all!" Fern agrees.

"Well at least we all have band first hour!" I can't help being happy, even when they all glare back at me.

"We better go." Gertrude pouts as the bell rings. We all make our way into the band room and split into our sections.

"Emily! Fern! Catie! Over here!" I look across the room to see Kyle standing by a row of chairs and my stomach drops.

I'm frantically scanning the room when we get over there and Kyle leans in close "He's not here, don't worry." I stare at him with wide eyes, but he just winks at me.

How in the hell-

My thoughts are cut off by Catie pulling me down and Mr. Smith starting class. He gives some big speech about the first day and we end up not playing at all, not that I'm surprised.