Chapter Two

The next morning I woke up to my sister screaming at the top of her

lungs. "I DON'T WANT TO BRUSH MY HAIR! IT'S MY HAIR!!!!" she was yelling. I groaned and rolled over. There's no way I'm going back to sleep. "Fine, I don't feel like arguing with you today!" that was my mother's voice. Giving in. Of course that doesn't surprise me at all. "You have to choose your battles." She often tells me. But, how is she choosing her battles when Olivia always gets what she wants? Whatever, I don't try and pretend I understand her brain.

After I hear the door close, meaning that they were gone, I roll over and grab my phone. Two new notifications, both Facebook. I don't know why I was upset. It's not like I expected Jackson to text me or anything.

I sigh and go on Facebook. One notification was just a birthday for some distant cousin. But the other was a post from Jackson on the "Trumpeteers" page.

Please remember to memorize your music, we have another sectional tomorrow and the parade is on Tuesday. Message or text me with any questions or concerns.

How is it that he seems so much nicer online than in person? "Any questions or concerns" really? After being a total ass-wad yesterday this was the last thing I expected. Oh well no time to dwell on it now. I have music to memorize.

Since I knew there was no way Catie had anything memorized I decided to call her and see if she wanted to come work on it together.

As soon as she answered, I knew I had woken her up. "Good morning sunshine! How are you?" I said in my perkiest voice. "What the fuck do you want?" she moaned back at me. "Well I was wondering if you would like to come over and work on memorizing music with me because we have the parade coming up." She groaned into the phone "yes how could I forget we have a parade coming up since you keep reminding me constantly! Let me ask my dad" I hear sounds of her standing up and walking downstairs. A couple minutes later she comes back "He'll bring me in about two hours." She announced. "Sounds good, love you!" I say. "Love you too."

After hanging up and throwing my phone on my bed I stand up and stretch and get ready to take a shower.

An uneventful two hours later, Catie walks into my room carrying her trumpet and music.

"Yay! You're here!" I say grabbing my music stand and placing it in the middle of the room.

"We're starting now?" she whines at me.

I ignore her and take out my music. "Okay, so my goals for today are to memorize the Fight Song and the beginning of the first song for the parade. Sound good?" I ask while grabbing my trumpet. Catie groans and starts taking her trumpet out too.

After ten minutes of messing around with warm-ups, we finally decide to get down to business. "Okay, let's take the first phrase and play it through twice then try and turn around and play it without looking." I suggest.

We managed to get through two phrases before we started gossiping.

"So, our section leaders are very interesting, right?" Catie says.

I shrug. "Yeah I mean Jackson is kind of an ass. I really don't want to be around him."

"I know." She sighs. "What a shame, he's so cute too."

"We need to get back to this! This next part will be the hardest part of the song."

"Okay, okay" she huffs and we get back to work.

An hour later I have the whole song memorized and Catie gave up twenty minutes before I was done. We decided not to do the song for the parade because we looked it up and it was just way too hard.