Chapter Twenty-One

***

*Buzz buzz buzz buzzzzzz*

I wake up the day of our first game to my phone vibrating on my table.

Guess what day it is?? -Fern

Game day! -Ellie

Gaaammee dayyy -Gertrude

Game day XD -Catie

Game DaY! -Nancy

GAME DAY!!!!!!!! -Me

This is our group message. We are only a tad excited, it's all good. I get up from my bed and do a little dance before heading to the bathroom.

Apparently, after tonight we aren't rookies anymore. I'm totally looking forward to that. No one's going to be home tonight except for me, bonus!

Hey no one's going to be home tonight, you guys should all come over! Everyone answers saying they'll ask and get back to me.

I put my phone down and go downstairs to eat some pizza rolls. When I come back up I have thirteen unread messages, all from the group.

Jackson's been acting weird lately. He talks about homecoming a lot. I wish we could go together. I don't know what's going on with us liking each other. He hasn't said anything about it and it's been weeks since band camp.

My phone buzzes again and pulls me out of my thoughts. Everyone can come except Catie and Ellie, bummer.

I tell everyone to get dropped off after the game and then go to get dressed. It's noon now so I have about three hours until the game. I put on my shorts that go under my band pants and my red and white polo shirt. Then I go to the bathroom and put my hair up in a bun and brush my teeth.

My mom will be home in about half an hour so to pass time, I go downstairs and start to do the dishes. When those are done, I go back upstairs, grad my book and jump on my bed.

I wake up two hours later with my book on the floor. "If you want to be early you should probably come on." My mom calls from the doorway. I grab my phone and look at the time. Two-thirty. I stand up and stretch before putting my music in my case and walking downstairs.

"Okay." I say yawning. "I'm ready!" We get in the car and my stomach starts clenching. Why am I getting nervous? It's the same show we've been performing for almost a month. Oh yeah, Jackson. I think about him way too much! I shake my head as to clear him out of my brain for good. Not happening.

We pull up to the school and my mom tells me good luck and she'll be cheering in the stands. I tell her I love her and walk inside looking for people I know.

Before long I see Hannah, a mellophone player, also a freshmen. "Hey." I walk up to her. "Wanna come over after the game and spend the night? A whole bunch of the girls are coming, we'll give you a ride."

"Yes I'd love to! Let me ask my dad." She pulls out her phone as Jackson walks by. My stomach jumps and my heart speeds up, but of course, he doesn't even look my way.

I look away in time to hear Hannah tell me she's allowed to come over. We stand there for a couple more minutes before Catie and Fern walk up.

"Hey the band moms have the pants out, you guys should go stand in line!" Catie says before heading towards the bathrooms.

"Alright, let's go, Hannah." We walk over to the door to the choir room. "Greene." I tell the band mom. She brings me my pants and I thank her before walking back over to the rest of the girls. I put my pants on over my shorts and tuck my shirt in before getting my trumpet out.

Suddenly, the door to the band room opens and Stacey steps out, calling us to attention. Mr. Smith comes out and starts giving up directions. "Go outside and set up the red and white block facing twenty-Fourth Street!" He orders.

We all move outside and start to get into our spots. Fern and I say goodbye to Catie before separating and moving over to our spots so Jackson can take attendance. We stand mostly quiet and Jackson noted who was absent before going to Kyle to see who's absent over there. We all get quiet and Mr. Smith comes out and Stacey calls us into attention.

Stacey gives us the command for a right haste and we move in that direction before marching off. We start with a cadence and then the fight song. I laugh when Fern trips over one of the speed bumps in the road, even though I'm supposed to stay serious. I get my intense face back when I see all of the people lining up to watch us march.

We march all the way over to the stadium and up the sideline to march preshow. When the football team is done with stretches, we get called into attention and start marching down the sideline. It drives me insane when people don't stop where they're supposed to... are you stupid or something?

We get a right haste and face the field. Mr. Richards announces us and we start marching on the field. Everyone ends up in their positions and Stacey gives us four whistle tweets before we start playing our first song. Then we play the Star-Spangled Banner, March the red and white block, and march off the field. Everyone is cheering as we go up in the stands to sit down.

Sitting in the stands has to be the best part, you don't really have to do any work. You just play a few songs and watch the game. We barely even sit down!

The first quarter is uneventful. We play a few songs like "Iron Man" and "Godzilla." When we get to the break in between the first and second quarters, we play the Fight Song. If I had a dollar for every time we play the Fight Song, I would be rich.

Soon it's time to go down and get ready to play the halftime show. We still don't have the last song finished so we only play the first three.

Everyone gets in their spots before we're all called to attention and we march over to the field. It's torture to wait for as long as we have to in the end zone.

After what feels like three years, we finally get to march by the sideline. We do the Wiggolo and start marching on. Mr. Richards announces us, the drum majors take their positions and we start marching. I see my mom and Livy in the stands.

The show goes by fast and we march off the field, trying to squeeze through the fence. We get called out of attention and I can't help the smile that crosses my face. We aren't rookies anymore!

Fern and I find Catie and we go over to the table with cookies and apples. I grab an oatmeal and raisin cookie before going back up in the stands. We have about ten minutes to eat and relax before we have to start playing again. My mom brings a bunch of waters for which my friends and I are very grateful! Marching is a lot of work.

The third quarter is pretty much over by time everyone gets back up in the stands and finishes their snacks. The quarter ends and we play the Fight Song and 25 or 6 to 4. I hate the name of that song.

We go through the last quarter screaming our heads off and playing a whole bunch of music (mostly the Fight Song) and before we know it, the game is over.

Everyone lines back up and we march to back to the school and disperse to go home. I put my instrument away, hang my pants up and take them to one of the band moms. I'm one of the only people who never gets them returned, because I always fold them right.

Nancy's mom says she'll get everyone pizza, I grab Hannah and tell everyone to meet at my house.

We walk outside and my mom is waiting to take us. After they drop us off, they're going to Kalahari for a long weekend. That's how we'll be alone.

We pull up to my house and my mom drops us off then backs out of the driveway before everyone else arrives. Nancy walks up with all of the pizza and her mom tells us to have fun. I thank her and we all head inside. "Hey, what if one of our chants was Clay, Clay, Clay, instead of reds, reds, reds?" Fern asks as I set the pizzas down and grab some paper plates.

We all laugh and try chanting that while Gertrude records us. Oh boy, look out Facebook.

We all get some pizza and go up to my room to hang out and talk about anything and everything.

All of the books talk about high school being for huge parties and drinking, but I wouldn't have it any other way. My friends are the best!