Chapter Thirteen

"TEN MINUTES 'TILL REVEILLE AND STRETCHES!"

"Uuuuuughhhgggghghhghhuuuhghghghghhhg" Fern groans the next morning.

I sit up and rub my eyes, pushing on my glasses. "Yay for stretches." I yawn.

"I'm going to slit your throat." Fern glares at me.

I ignore her and climb down, grabbing my shoes. "Get upppppp Catie." I say poking her. I receive a groan but not much else.

"Okay we'll meet you down there." I say pulling on a hoodie and walking out the door with Leah. "Don't be late!"

Fern flips me off and starts to get up.

When we get down the stairs, I see Jackson sitting on a picnic table looking insanely tired. Clearly still not a morning person.

I get caught up looking at him and jump when Leah touches my arm. "Uh, what?" I ask.

"I was just telling you I'm going over to Amber."

"Oh, alright cool. I see Fern and Catie anyways." I walk over and meet them halfway.

"Wow great save, we could see you staring from here." Catie says rolling her eyes.

"You know," I start but I'm cut off by Stacey starting the stretches.

After stretches we all go back upstairs to get dressed and go down for breakfast. I check my phone to see if I have any messages from my mom.

My heart jumps when I see I have a message from Jackson. He sent it at about eleven last night. Hey.

So he has his phone... and wants to talk to me! I smile to myself and put my phone down, waiting for everyone else.

We walk down to the picnic tables and sit down with the rest of the trumpets. "We have cleanup duty after lunch today." Kyle informs us as we walk up.

We all groan and sit down.

Soon we are called to go in and eat. I try to position myself to be next to Jackson in line, but he and Kyle are so nice, they hold the door for all of us.

We grab scrambled eggs and sausage and sit down. Fern gives Catie and me a look and a nudge as the new found Booty God walks by.

Fern fans herself with her hand and waits until he moves past to announce "Man he has a nice ass."

I laugh and ask her if she's going to eat her grapes.

***

"Five minutes to be five minutes early." I announce as we start getting our instruments and music.

I count my pencils and put them in my pocket.

"Hey can I borrow one of those?" Catie asks.

"What happened to the one I gave you yesterday?"

She shrugs.

I shake my head and hand her a pencil.

"Thank you, Hazza!" she hugs me.

"Yeah, yeah. Just hurry up so we're not late."

We walk down to the picnic tables and I see Jackson sitting on the ground going through his music.

I walk over to him and sit down, "serious face ready go!"

He rolls his eyes and looks back at his music.

"You have to look at me or it doesn't count!" I say.

"I never signed up for this."

Whatever response I was about to come up with gets cut off by Stacey calling us into attention.