Chapter - 38

The Scout
Chapter 38
Knocking on Dangers Door
By: Mike Hurley

It was pouring rain, but the sky's were clearing to the west. Riley's hooves pounded the trail, his shoes digging into the dirt for extra traction. Amy saw the downed tree ahead, and leaned forward and steadied herself.....Riley's lightning fast speed didn't waiver. In seconds she felt him rise up and soar. They were airborne for less than a second, followed by his hooves landing & immediately digging in, then veering sharp left into a dense grove of trees. Amy saw the sentry staring at her ahead through rain drenched binoculars. He saw the flags of Canada and the US on her raincoat. She waved and smiled; he saluted and stepped back as Riley roared past like a (wooden) British Mosquito fighter plane of WW2. The powerful horse was exhausted and hungry, but he was trained to gallop full bore once Amy whispered the word 'Lightning' into his ear. 

With his massive chest, thick & long mane and tail, and other characteristics, Amy knew Riley was a rare Spanish Andalusian. A descendant of War Horses centuries ago, Riley was highly intelligent, sensitive, and docile....... but fearless too. He carried Amy like she was a princess and delivered her safely home.

Ty owed the loyal horse a thank you for protecting his wife.

He flew like the wind right up to camp, then slowed & seemed to know right where to take Amy.

Good boy; she whispered in his ear.

Robin!!  Why are you out in the rain??  But your perfectly dry!! Amy looked at Robin with bewilderment, but there were another dozen things to talk about. Amy jumped down & kissed Riley's neck.....I love this horse. I want to adopt him!!

They stood next to the mess hall.....
Man I'm starving, & I smell meatloaf.
Are you hungry?? Amy asked.

Robin smiled and shook her head yes, but stared at Amy in disbelief.....
You're.......you're ok??  You're really alive!!

Thanks to Riley here, of course I'm ok!! Robin we got them out, Todd and Freedom!!
They've probably already landed at
McAdams. We got some other people out too.
But damn!! Jocks was amazing how he negotiated for their release!!
What's wrong Robin...... you're staring at me like you saw a ghost.

I thought you were dead Amy!! There was a sniper in an oak tree; I saw him in a vision.
He fired 3 shots at you with a high power rifle with one of those scope things, they aim with.
I thought only Superman could stop bullets!!

Amy knelt & felt Riley's legs, the rain had kept him cool; he stood silently, staring at her.

Robin hugged her friend and cried.....
You're safe Amy!! You're like a sister to me; I can't handle any more of my family dying.

Amy held Robin for a minute.
Robin, I don't understand all your prayers and visions. But things have happened on this mission that I don't understand.
So you should probably keep praying for us!!
I'll shoot the arrows & you shoot the prayers!!
Amy grinned.

What was the scariest moment Amy??  Robin asked as she dried her tears.

The rain suddenly stopped.

Robin......I'm terrified if Ty ever finds out about what you and I did!! That's what scares me.
The Army is constantly filling reports and documenting everything.....what if he reads one of the reports!! He's going to be furious!! I've only seen my husband mad one time, when I shot an arrow into a Rebels balls!!

Robin started laughing...... you did what!!??
Did he scream in agony?? 

I don't remember but Ty was so angry with me and went on and on about honor & respect, even with the enemy. He gets so serious sometimes, I wanted to tickle him but I just stood there & looked remorseful!!
Amy burst out laughing & whispered; I'm so bad!! Poor Ty!!