Chapter - 47

The Scout
Chapter 47
'Dear Diary'
By: Mike Hurley

Ty stared at the small screen and surveyed satellite maps of Twin Falls,
Wyoming. The small town Robin and her family had lived quietly until the Rebels arrived and unleashed hell on everyone. About 6 months ago.
Ty carefully surveyed everything, and stopped at the small US Post Office, and hit zoom. His eagle eyes had spotted something unusual. He peered in the front windows, astonished with the updated software uploaded to one of the many US spy satellites. He was able to read a poster on the window.

The US flag flew at the top of the flagpole but hung upside down.
This inverting of the flag usually was a dire distress call for help.

Ty mumbled 'bastards', referring to the Rebels and their hunger for blood & habits of instilling extreme fear and panic in people. They controlled masses of people with overwhelming terror directed at their minds.
A family with children pulled out of line and gunned down. No questions or explanations.

Ty and Shawn were about 10 miles north east of Twin Falls.
He found Robin's home; it was one of the few still standing. The front door was open and empty beer cans covered the porch.

Ty looked at the deep & dense forest to the west and knew it would be a perfect hiding place for a Rebel army.
Maybe even a small battalion.
He suddenly had a bad feeling about this mission. If not for his promise to Shawn to find Robin's family things.
Ty would have headed back to base with Shawn and Melodie. And the little dog.

The typical citizen rescue occurred in a place like a Rebel base. Like the ones Ty repeatedly walked into, found those he was assigned to rescue; and got them out.
Occasionally marching a dozen people right out the front gate.

Ty had no idea how he was able to accomplish that........but someday Robin would try to explain it to him.

***

Sgt Nayeli Hawks-Talon lay on her back looking up at the stars. She remembered the story her great grandmother told her over 30 years ago.....
All the stars in the night sky were the eyes of the Great Spirit, who saw all things. Including Nayeli feeding the family dog beets and peas at the dinner table. To this day Nayeli hated most vegetables. She lay on a Commanche blanket her mother handed her the day she left her family home in Lamar, Colorado to join the
US Army. Nayeli was a Comanche
Warrioress first, and a US Army Lieutenant........2nd.
But 6 months later, she was given her
1st command....... Lead 12 men and women soldiers around Ft Roosevelt. 10 miles out and circle the base every 2 weeks looking for trouble. A week later Nayeli received a group message from General Navarre of the Army's Western Division......

US President Nicolas Lincoln and
Canadian Prime Minister Lloyd Atkinson had signed the Bilateral Treaty.
The United States and Canada had merged for a period of 50 years.

A month later, Nayeli and her men and women would have a Canadian Maple Leaf flag sewed to their uniforms.

A Canadian 3-star general would be in command of 12 western regional bases.
8 in the US and 4 in Canada.
Fort Roosevelt was the largest and could launch a full Division in 8 hours anywhere in the US and Canada.

Nayeli was called a Comanche Warrioress. A female from the most feared American Indian tribe in North America. Silent and deadly were the two words her drill instructor in basic training wrote on his report. Descended from a long line of Commance warriors who fought in World War 2, and every conflict since.
Nayeli had few friends and rarely relied on anyone. Her best friend was an M7 Imperial Corp trench knife.

The only man Nayeli would do anything for was Colonel John McAdams...... the man was a living legend, who truly cared for every soldier in his command.
Colonel McAdams was a student of history, who supposedly enjoyed discussing current events with history as a backdrop, at his dinner table nightly.