39 ~ encounter

I RAN INTO DEREK AT GROCERY SHOPPING

Though I was on track with his life through Instagram stories, we hadn't appropriately talked in a while. He asked me how it was going a few times, but the conversation died soon enough. I sort of felt responsible for our lack of contact since I was the one who didn't linger the chat.

I stood on the other side of the aisle, contemplating whether I should reach and say hi to him. He could easily spot me if he lifted his head, and it wasn't a good idea to be caught in action. So, I pushed my cart to approach him. "Derek," I said casually as if I wasn't standing there and watching him.

Derek raised his gaze. The surprise was evident in his expression as he smiled at me. "Kara. Long time, no see! What's up?"

I pointed at the cart. "Grocery shopping. What about you?"

"I was looking for,"—he grabbed one jar of kimchi—"this. I love this brand, but it's challenging to find." I looked at the brand he talked about. I didn't consume kimchi as much as I liked, and if it was as good as he said, Sophie could like it as well. I wanted her to get familiar with traditional Korean food and culture.

I thought of taking her to Korean classes this year, so she would learn it. Though I grew up in an American family with no trace of Korean culture, I wanted Sophie to grow up knowing her roots. "I'll buy one as well since you recommend it."

"It's delicious." We paused awkwardly, looking at each other. "Have you talked to Austin yet?" He asked in a low tone.

"Yes. Uh, we are actually together now."

"Wow. Congrats." Silence followed his reaction. I just smiled at him because I ran out of things to say. We used to talk a lot — what changed? Our friendship stemmed from a blind date, so we couldn't get out of that box in the end. His look didn't seem like he was happy for me — even after everything I'd said to him. I trusted Derek because he was sensible and eager to listen. I never regretted opening my heart to him, telling him about my darkest secrets. He was also the one that encouraged me to talk to Austin after Ace. "Did you solve the problem between you two?"

Derek didn't want to voice it aloud, but he meant Mila. We didn't solve that problem, and it was always on the back of my mind no matter how well things went between Austin and me. We never mentioned Mila, pretending her to be non-existent, but what would happen if she suddenly emerged and learned we were together? However, I didn't want to seem weak toward Derek. I didn't want him to think that I jumped into this situation without a second thought. I just decided to go with the flow, and I trusted Austin with my heart.

"Almost," I replied with a smile. "We are good."

Derek didn't comment on that. "I was actually going to call you this week."

"Oh, why?"

"There is a group of Korean-American people and they have dinner gatherings biweekly to mingle and speak in Korean. I know you don't know the language, but they're so friendly. You can bring Sophie along, too — and Austin."