53 ~ happy nights

SOMETIMES I DIDN'T WANT TO WAKE UP AFTER HAPPY NIGHTS

The aftermath, the fact that I had to risk living another day, became so unbearable. It was how I felt now, waking up in my own bed with Austin gone. Though a smile was plastered on my face, there was an underlying fear somewhere deep in my heart.

Where is he?

I leaned forward to grab my phone from my nightstand and texted him a quick message asking where he was. Then, I let out a sigh, reminding myself that last night was great, but Mila was still here and she knew about Sophie. And she likely told Lucas about her.

But Austin is here, too. We are good. Together we can get over this.

The door burst open and Sophie ran to jump on the bed next to me. "Mommy!"

I took her in my arms with a laugh. "Morning, baby." I caressed her hair and looked at my baby, realizing how she was growing up quickly.

Time was passing by, and my head was full of doubt and fear that I was missing my baby's growth. Carpe diem was what everyone advised, but how many of us actually succeeded in staying in the moment with everything going on in our lives?

"Mommy, TV day." Sophie looked at me with begging eyes.

She had TV days, and it wasn't definitely today. I tried my best to keep her off-screen, though how tempting it was to just let her sometimes. She loved it, though. And today I was in no mood to fight.

"Okay," I murmured, and she started jumping on the bed. "Only an hour."

"Masha?"

Of course, she had no idea how long one hour lasted, so she was trying to make sure it'd go around to watch one episode of her favorite show. I nodded, smiling at her.

When she smiled back at me, it was all right. I could fight all the battles, take down every kingdom to save her. I would destroy Mila if I had to. She was still that girl I knew, but I wasn't. I was Sophie's mother now, and I would do anything to keep her safe.

As much as I wanted to stay in with Sophie today, I had to work. So, I quickly got up, showered, dressed, fed Daisy and Sophie, and woke Ace with a double-shot espresso before I left for work.

Sarah already opened the shop when I arrived, welcoming me with a beam of a smile. However, her face fell when she saw mine. "You okay?"

"I should be," I said, taking my coat off. "But I'm definitely not."

"Wanna tell me?"

"I accepted Austin's proposal."

She looked at me in question. "Isn't this a yay?"

"This gut feeling doesn't leave me alone."

"Maybe it's something you ate for dinner?" She tried to joke, but she sank in after I rolled my eyes. "Come on, you love him. He loves you, and if anyone can handle Mila, it's him — her brother."

"I think like you," I said, standing next to her with my back against the wall. "But then, I remember how he underestimates her. You don't know Mila personally, but if you did, you'd know. She's not normal, and she totally needs help. I don't even know what she's cooking at this point. She threatened Austin last night, she still stays over at his house, and she knows Lucas."

"What do you think she can do? Like what makes you fear so much?"

I held her gaze in thought. "You know what? I don't know, and this is what scares me the most. She's capable of anything, and she doesn't think like us, so I can't foresee her actions. I didn't see it then, but she was always a bit too clingy, obsessive, and scary. I think I was so obsessed with being accepted by her that I missed this detail. Once I realized she never liked me and she was trying to hurt me, it was too late."

Sarah put her hand on my shoulder and flashed me a sympathetic smile.

"I don't know, Sarah. I just—I don't want to live my life in agony, anymore. That's why I accepted Austin's proposal. Of course, I want to marry him. I mean, why wouldn't I marry the guy I love? But this—he's not marrying me out of love. I can see that, no matter how many times he said otherwise. This looks like our only way out. Together. But he convinced me that he wants this, so I'll just go along with it." I put my hand over hers. "I hope no one gets hurt in the end."

"Hope so, baby. Did you talk to Austin today?"

I took my phone out of my pocket. "I messaged him two hours ago, but no reply." I texted him again, asking if he was still asleep. "Maybe he took the day off and is still asleep."

"If he doesn't answer, I can ask Nick about him," she replied before the bell above the door rang, and our first customer for the day stepped in.

The next few hours went in a blur, taking orders and delivering them. Sarah took the take-out orders as I served the tables. I didn't have a second to think, and I was glad for that. I checked my phone a few times, but still no reply from Austin. I was starting to wonder about him since he would never sleep this long.

When it struck six, I finally found time to sit down and breathe.

"I just want to go home and watch TV senselessly," Sarah whined. "And drink wine."

"My legs are killing me," I said back, checking my phone. A text from Austin. Finally.

Kara, sorry. I can't marry you. I won't be around for a while. Don't call me.

I reread the message a few times to register his words. "What the fuck?"

"What's wrong?" Sarah asked.

"A—Austin just texted me, saying he can't marry me. And not to call him."

"What the fuck." She quickly approached and stood beside me, looking at the message. "This doesn't sound right. Did you call him?"

"I tried but his phone was off."

"You should probably go to his house and talk. How dare he change his mind and let you know in a text message?"

"Do you think it's him?"

"Let's say Mila sent the message, but his phone is off. And he didn't text you in a long time. She can't hold his phone captive that long, can she?" It made sense. What did Mila tell him that he suddenly changed his mind about us? "Just go," Sarah said again. "I'll handle the rest. And text me as soon as you talk."

I nodded and went to take my coat and bag from the backroom. My mind was full of questions, and I couldn't stop my hands from trembling. Tears welled in my eyes, but I didn't want to cry. I wanted to know the truth.

The doorbell rang when I went back. A fair-haired guy in a gray coat walked in and took off his sunglasses.

In his eyes, I saw her.

He cracked a soft smile, and my heart cracked into millions of tiny pieces.

Lucas.

"Hi, Kara. It's been a long time."

Dun dun dun

Dun dun dun...