46 ~ a night to remember

I BOOKED A ROOM FOR A NIGHT AT A FANCY HOTEL

Mila's visit changed our relationship with Kara undeniably. Kara was slowly creating that barrier I'd tried so hard to break again, and I was afraid of being too late to prevent this. On one end, there was my problematic sister that I felt responsible for, and on the other end, there was the love that I fought so hard for. These two were intertwined but in contrast. In a world, Mila existed, Kara wouldn't be willingly there — I could see that.

I didn't expect Kara to understand me when I sat down and told her that Mila's life had not been as easy as she pictured. Our parents' façade damaged us both in irreparable ways. Since we didn't get the love we sought in their eyes, we searched for it in every look that cast toward us — and we didn't want to release even a glimpse of love. We'd fallen for the wrong people, been in the worst situations because of our helpless, utter trust. Mila preferred to manipulate people as she did to Kara because she felt in control, then. I didn't see it when I was young because I was too focused on rescuing myself from that house. I'd neglected Mila because she reminded me of that place.

In the monster she became, there was my fault, too. Kara once mentioned that Mila talked of me very highly, which made her develop a crush on me when she was young. I wasn't the best brother in the world, but I was all Mila truly had. I wish I'd been there for her more.

Still, a part of me believed I could fix their relationship. They shared a good friendship once. If I convinced Mila to behave, to reason, she wouldn't hurt Kara. Maybe we could all get that happy ending we deserved.

First, I wanted to spend a night with Kara, free from drama and stress.

I'd ordered room service: a bottle of champagne, a fruit bowl, a plate of cheese along with tall red candles, rose petals spread on white sheets. I dressed elegantly. I wanted to show her that I was madly in love with her as day one. I wanted to show that we were stronger than Mila — she wasn't able to break us apart.

A firm knock on the door alerted me. Kara's tired gaze welcomed me when I pulled the door open along with her after-work outfit. "Hey," she whispered, her eyes running down on me. "You look nice."

I just pulled herself to me, embracing her with every fiber of my being. It took her a while to respond, but when she hugged me, we lost track of time. I took in her scent, losing myself in the thoughts. Kara filled my heart with love, bravery, and happiness. Her presence gave me strength, her laugh echoed in the walls of my heart. She was the bravest woman I'd ever met, waking up every day to fight against everything for her daughter. She deserved only the good things in the world, and I was willing to offer her all I had.

"I love you so fucking much," I whispered into her hair.

Her sigh tickled my skin. In the wake of her sigh, her breath marked pain. It was suddenly all over my skin, crawling down my spine.

I pulled back and looked at her in the eyes. "What's wrong?"

A thin smile touched her lips. Then, she followed the narrow corridor to the room, stopping in front of the bed. I waited for her to say something — how beautiful it looked or an affectionate word. When she parted her mouth, tears streamed down her cheeks instead.

This situation was as fragile as glass — about to break in my hands. "Austin."

I made her sit on the edge of the bed and slumped down beside her. "Just tell me."

"Mila came to the coffee shop today. She threatened me." I furrowed. "She wants me to break up with you or she'll destroy me."

I held her hand. "Did you believe her? You know she can't." Gone was Kara who showed up at my door that night, fiercely standing against my sister. She was frightened now by an empty threat. What could have Mila possibly said to her?

"If she learns about Sophie, she actually can."

"She won't — she's leaving in two days." Kara let out a sigh, as if she couldn't believe it. "I'm here, love. I will make sure nothing ever happens to you or Sophie. You know how much I care for her, right?"

Kara nodded her head. "I do, but she's your sister, Austin. She's your blood. My intention was never to break you two apart, and it was the reason why I stood far from you in the first place. But you listened and you understood me. If you had to make a choice, I just want to know whom."

But do I really have to choose? "You know the answer."

"It's actually a matter of when. Not if. I can't live my life panicking over a psychotic woman that will do everything to turn my life into hell." She looked at me. "I'm sorry, but I'm a mother. I can't put you first in this. I'm fighting for this — don't get me wrong. The old Kara would tell you that we were over and move on, but here I am, wanting to be with you. I love you, Austin, but don't make me choose between you and Sophie."

"I would never do that." I leaned my forehead against hers. "You won't ever need to choose; I'm with you and everything will be perfect again. Mila isn't an obstacle. She will be gone soon." I'll fix this soon.

Kara, for the first time since she'd stepped into the room, looked like herself. She removed her coat and threw it on the sofa by the window. Her gaze drank in the room, landing on the lighting candles, roses, every detail. She was so careful that she made me proud of thinking this far into this. I reached to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear, and that move pulled her gaze toward mine.

"You're the dream I'll never be tired of having," she said.

"I'll prove to you that I'm not a dream — we are real."

Kara kissed me. "I don't,"—she undid the first button of my shirt—"ever want to,"—second, third—"wake up." When her hand touched my bare chest, I wrapped my arm around her waist and pulled her against me to kiss her.

That night was indeed a dream we seized as long as time allowed. A night to remember. Sometimes you wish there was a warning sign that told you to hold onto some memories longer and tighter.

 Sometimes you wish there was a warning sign that told you to hold onto some memories longer and tighter

Hello!

This chapter is slow but so important. Let me know your thoughts!

Wattys 2022 is live! I'm going to enter Dog Days into Wattys 2022 this year so I'm excited to post it in full! 🥳 I only have epilogue left to write — we have 14 chapters more to go!

Sev