11 ~ blind date

"COME ON, KARA."

"No," I said for the umpteenth time. "I'm not going on a blind date." I took the laundry out of the washer and tucked them into the dry machine above it. "Don't need a man in my life right now."

Sarah let out an exasperated sigh. When I turned to her, they were exchanging a look with Ace. Their argument was that I was so invested in motherhood that I made no time for myself and I would regret this within a couple of years. "She's right, Kara," Ace murmured, meeting my gaze.

"So, you approve of me going on a date with a random dude, too?" I raised to my feet and turned the machine on. "What's wrong with you two?" Ignoring their looks, I shouldered past them to go back to my bedroom and check on Sophie.

Men were needy creatures with no sense of empathy. I didn't need a man in my life, especially with the things on my plate. I could see where they were coming from, but they didn't understand me at all. I was okay with my life, with my daughter, and I didn't feel like I was wasting my life away. I was just tired—and that would pass sometime later.

Sophie was playing with her dolls on my bed, with Daisy sleeping beside her. She was covering half of the bed already with her giant body. Sophie gazed up at me when she noticed me enter but didn't make a sound, greeting me with a smile. She was so sensitive about waking Daisy up—she treated her as her child. Kneeling in front of the bed, I whispered, "Are you hungry, babe?" She shook her head no. I pushed her hair back and gave her a kiss on her forehead. "Tell me when you are, okay?"

"Okay, mommy," she whispered back, turning back to her game as I stood up to leave the room with the door open. When I went to the parlor, Sarah was talking to Ace heatedly. They suddenly shut up when I came close.

As I plopped down next to her, Sarah begged, "Just one date." I opened my mouth to reject, but she added, "I'll look after Sophie all night. You won't need to worry about anything."

I ran a hand over my face. "Will you ever give up?" I met Ace's gaze, surprised to see that he was on the same page with her. How desperately did I look they could agree on a blind date for me? Just one date. Could I handle one date for them to shut up for eternity?

My silence encouraged her because she pulled her phone out next and showed me a picture of my blind date. The guy was clearly older than me but under thirty. He looked handsome, no denying there. It was shocking a guy like him would agree on a blind date.

"He's Nick's friend." I kept my silence, gazing at the photo. "I want you to chat with someone other than me, Sophie or Ace." I rolled my eyes, tucking at my sleeves. "Nick said he's a funny guy, and he's a doctor. Just one date, Kara, I'm not asking you to marry him." I raised my gaze to give her a glare.

What could go wrong with one date? "Okay."

Sarah looked at me in disbelief. "Okay," she breathed, jumping to her feet. "Then, let's get you ready." Then she pulled me up as well, leading me to my room. As we entered haste, catching Sophie's attention, she looked at us in question. Sarah immediately walked toward the closet, looking through my clothes, and I sat down next to my daughter.