27 ~ slow falling

My heart was still pounding when I woke

My heart was still pounding when I woke. I was going to go on a date with Austin. No matter how I tried to convince myself that it would be only one time, a new kind of excitement bubbled out of me.

I remembered the first time I saw his photo in the frame on Mila's nightstand. So many things changed in three years. I transformed from a naive girl to a mother. This heartbeat belonged to that girl who looked at that frame in admiration. I listened to Austin's stories from Mila. He was a legend to me. He was a great brother, a successful person, and handsome. Nothing like the boys in our high school. Also, he was Mila's brother.

I dreamt of marrying him one day because that was two birds at one stone. I could be sisters with Mila forever, and marry Austin. That Kara would love to be in my shoes, but this wasn't a fairytale. The prince didn't know the girl, and the villain's mask was off. They deceived the girl and exiled her.

Sophie's voice sobered me from my daydream. "Mama." She got on the bed and started jumping. "Wake up."

"I'm awake, baby," I replied, urging her to come down and hug me. Her smell was magic; giving me all the energy to start the day. I felt like I could conquer the world if she was with me. Being her mother was the best thing I could ever be.

As I sat her down in her feeding chair, I opened her favorite cartoon to make her omelet and avocado purée. I dressed, tidied around, fed Daisy, and changed Sophie's outfit. I found Daisy lying under Sophie's feeding chair and Sophie throwing some of her omelets on the floor to feed him.

"Sophie," I said disappointedly, "what did I tell you about sharing your food with Daisy?"

"She looks sad, Mama. She barked at me." As if Daisy could sense my anger, she slumped and threw me a puppy look. These two were a good team, and I couldn't handle them. Sighing, I took Soph's plate and caressed Daisy's head.

As about to depart from the house ten minutes late because of last-minute Sophie's surprise, I spotted Austin's coat on the hanger. It was a reminder that last night happened. I decided to take his coat with me to work, in case he visited me today.

Sarah had already opened the shop and set the tables when I arrived. "Morning," I said and let Sophie run to Sarah to hug her. Sarah didn't miss the coat in my hand. Of course. She rose her eyebrow at me in question. "Austin's."

"Austin's?" She repeated in a delighted tone.

I sighed. "Long story."

I turned around when she looked behind me with a grin. "Long story is here."

Austin entered the shop and his eyes immediately slid to his coat. "Morning."

"Austin!" Sophie ran toward him in joy, letting him hug her. "Hello."

"Hi, princess." Embracing her, he looked at me. "We have a kindergarten in the hospital. Would you like me to take her there? An instructor takes care of the children of doctors all day long. I'll check on her, too."

It was a good idea. I couldn't take care of her easily when I was at work. "That'd be great. I can visit her during my lunch break." He nodded. When our eyes met, I felt the different chemistry between us. Gone was the tension. My heart raced under his warm gaze. I almost forgot who he was, or who I was. I watched him holding Sophie, their sweet talk. He was perfect. Admittedly, we were good together.

I shut my eyes, trying to talk myself out of this fantasy. We could never last long with all the baggage in my past. He wouldn't accept me. Austin's question was missed in the flood of my thoughts. "Couldn't hear that."

"I said, should we eat dinner tonight?"

"Do you really want to take your one shot too soon?" I teased him. Deep down, I wanted to linger in this playful relationship between us. I only planned one date, nothing more. I needed to convince him that we wouldn't work.

"I don't miss," he said, looking right into my eyes as if he could read my soul. With a louder voice, he added, "Let's go, princess." I waited for Sophie to ask him where they were going, but she slowly nodded. This girl was willing to go wherever Austin took her. No, baby, you need to stay strong. "See you at lunch," Austin said to me before they walked out.

I jerked with Sarah's voice. "Did I just watch you and Austin flirt?"

"Let's get to work," I replied, rapidly walking behind the counter and wearing my apron. Her gaze followed me amusedly, but I ignored it. I was thinking of the date instead, wondering how I could shoo him off.

During my lunch break, I went to the hospital. I asked where the kindergarten was first but passed by Austin's room. I lingered there a bit, so I was standing in front of his room when his patient pulled the door open. He immediately noticed me, his face breaking into a smile. The fact that I could make him smile was painfully beautiful.

"Hey," I said, entering his room and shutting the door. "I came to see Sophie."

"Great," he said, typing on his computer. "Let me finish this in secs, and I'll take you." I took his room in as he finished his work. It was very neat and cute, with toys on the corner and cartoon pictures on the walls. I looked at his name on his desk: Dr. Austin Mayer. I didn't realize he was done until silence dominated the room and I felt his gaze on me. His eyes pinned me in my place. I watched his gaze move down to my lips. I lost my breath. "You know what?"

"What?" I asked, shoving my hands into my pockets. This room became suddenly so hot, making it unable to breathe. I was foreign to this kind of thing: playful words, tense gazes, stolen glances.

Austin shook his head, getting up from his seat. When he looked at me, he let out a sigh. "Let's see Sophie." I couldn't ask him what he was going to say, because he already opened the door and started walking in the corridor.

Following him behind, I took several inhales to gather myself. I needed to end this tonight or this would end me. For Sophie, I reasoned, I needed to let him go.

With my secrets out, we wouldn't be safe here.

Hello!

Please let me know your thoughts!

Love you all,

Sev xx