36 ~ old chap

WHEN I SAW MILA'S NAME ON THE SCREEN, I LET IT BE MISSED.

I hadn't been able to get brave and talk to her after everything I'd learned. A part of me was angry at her for everything she caused in my and Kara's lives. The other part was mad at my parents for turning her into the monster she was. Buying everything a child wanted didn't make her happy; it made her selfish.

It was a lazy day since it was my day off. I'd been busy looking for a convenient place for a weekend trip with girls. I still hadn't asked Kara if she would come on a weekend trip with me, but I asked Nick about it. He told me to slow down, but I didn't believe a weekend trip was bizarre. It was an opportunity to get to know each other.

I was leaning on Somerville. It was quiet and beautiful. I'd been there before when I needed some space from life. I also planned to tell Kara about my past during this trip, when, if possible, we could be alone. I wanted all the barriers between us to disappear and start clean.

Max sat next to me on the couch and rested his head on my lap. I stroked his fur and let out a sigh. "Boy, what am I going to do?" He didn't make a sound. "Do you think I'm going too fast? Would it scare Kara off?" I smiled, thinking about all the things I'd already done. "No, sah—she should have run away ages ago."

My phone buzzed in my pocket. Mila. Why aren't you answering my calls?

Instead of replying to her, I pulled on comfy leggings and took Max out to walk. I didn't pick the usual route — walked to Kara's café. It was a silent agreement between my feet and heart. There was a heaviness within me like dark clouds, waiting to drop rain, and Kara was my sun — it takes two to make a rainbow.

Nick FaceTimed me on my way. He was in a store, wearing a suit. "Hey, dude. I have a question real quick. I'm going to buy a new suit and—"

"Wait, why do you need a suit?"

He grinned. "For a special occasion." I was about to ask him further, but he showed me the suit he was wearing and another on a hanger. "I'm not sure if it should be black or dark brown. I mean, black is always classy, but brown looks different."

"I'd go for black."

"Then, I'm going for brown." I frowned. "I hate your taste, Austin. I just wanted to make sure."

"I hate you more." I hung upon him. Asshole. I shook my head and remained walking. Nick had a solid point — I had to question my taste in friends sometime. Today was already going down. Why was everyone grumpy? I needed this vacation with Kara so severely. I was going to use everything to convince her.

When I arrived, the café was almost empty. Tying Max to a nearby lamppost, I sauntered inside. Kara was sitting at a table with Sarah. Their laughter echoed in the place. The tiny bell above the door rang as I entered, so the attention turned to me. "Austin," Kara said, raising from her seat. "What are you doing here?"