33 ~ tiny victory

🎵 - Tiny Victories by Christina Perri

I WAS FILLED WITH THE UNEASY ANTICIPATION OF A UNIVERSE SLAP

People like me weren't used to being happy for so long. We knew how to make the best out of the worst situations, suck the goodness out of nothing. We weren't used to reciprocating love, beautiful endings, and kind people. The universe didn't treat us well, so we were used to expecting the worst - the slap.

I was waiting for it: my eyes shut, my toes curled, my breaths uneven.

I didn't sleep that night when my secrets were out. I came home and cuddled Sophie, burying my face into her hair and letting the tears fall. The relief was so strong in my heart; it was like dropping the box into the water finally. I let go of my sins, or I found someone who was willing to carry my baggage.

"Mama, are you crying?" Sophie asked me, half awake. I pulled to put a kiss on her forehead. Her concerned look made me smile.

"I'm happy to be home, honey. Mama missed you."

When she asked the next question, I noticed she knew where I was, thanks to Sarah. "Austin makes Mama happy?"

"Yeah," I said with a sigh. "So happy."

Her smile grew with my reply, but she squealed as Daisy made her way between us sneakily. "Daisy miss you, too."

I ruffled Daisy's fur and made a laugh. "Now's time for bed. We can cuddle tomorrow, okay?" Sophie pouted, Daisy looked alright in her position, clueless about what was going on. "Come on, girly, let's tuck you in."

I felt terribly fatigued, so when Sophie didn't protest and accepted to sleep, it was heaven. Daisy was still in my bed when I was back in my room, so I found a room beside her. "I'm so happy, Daisy," I whispered, my gaze on the ceiling. "And terribly, terribly afraid."

She made a sound that seemed to acknowledge my words.

"Austin understood me. He didn't judge me." I smiled so hard. "I think I love him." I shut my mouth with my hands, feeling like six again, tucked in my bed and daydreaming about Mila's brother. I released my hands and let out a sigh. "I think he loves me back," I whispered.

My phone buzzed on my nightstand. When I saw Austin's name on the screen, my heart skipped a beat.

I already miss you.

At the back of my mind, the voice urged me not to get too cozy with the idea of a happily ever after with Austin Mayer. Kara Bennett was born for sad endings, abandoned by not only two but four parents, kicked off from her hometown.

What did we talk about overthinking?

How did you know I was overthinking?