25 ~ don't leave me

AS ACE PACKED HIS STUFF INTO HIS BAGGAGE, MY CHEST TIGHTENED WITH THE FEELING OF BEING HALF

Though he was a pain in the ass, I loved him so much and I didn't want to think how lonely I would be—and Sophie—without him. 

Of course, he deserved the world and this was the beginning of his evergreen success. His career was picking off and I was proud of seeing him achieve things. Even if it meant he wouldn't be living with us anymore and we wouldn't see each other as much as I'd like to.

Since he would be gone, I also needed to find someone to take care of Sophie while I was at work. I thought of taking her to work and somehow convincing my boss to let me around without causing any difficulties until I found a babysitter. Sophie was a good girl, she wouldn't disturb the customers. On the other hand, being a babysitter meant more cost and I also needed to work extra to make money for it. Ace said he would send me some regularly but you could never know how things went—there had been times he said this and we ended up penniless.

Ace suddenly lifted his gaze at me after he was done with packing. "You're crying." That was when I noticed the hot tears streaming down my face. I quickly whipped my face and gave him a tight smile. He chuckled, zipping his baggage. "Don't, Kara, I'll almost think you love me."

I went, sat down next to him on the bed, and punched his gut. "I love you, dummy." I buried my face into his shoulder when he embraced me. "Ace," I whispered, "I'll miss you so much." I don't know if I'm strong enough to survive through this alone.

I heard him sigh. "I'll be back in the blink of an eye."

I shut my eyes in regret. I didn't want to make him feel like he was leaving me behind. I should have been the supporting sister, his cheerleader—not a burden that he had to care about. "We'll be fine. Sophie is amazing. Her existence gives me the strength I need. Don't worry about us—just do your thing and be famous. I'll be here to cheer."

"You're the best sister ever."

Sophie suddenly entered the room with her teddy bear but paused when she saw us hugging. "Hug?" I opened my arms for her and she threw herself between Ace and me. "Are you going?" She asked Ace, lifting her head. He nodded softly. Sophie turned at me. "Will I stay with Daisy, mummy?"

"No, baby, you're coming with me to work."

Ace looked at me. "We can hire a babysitter."

"I know but maybe it's better if I take her with me in the first place. After you settle things at least. I don't want to go under something we can't afford." He parted his mouth to protest but my look stopped him. He knew what I meant. I was risk-averse and Sophie was my fine line.

"What about Daisy?"

"She will wait for us at home."

"But she will be hungry," Sophie protested.