Santa Anxiety

"Are you sure?" Jessica eyed Luke.

"Am I sure?" He scoffed. "Yes, Jessie. I'm sure. Santa will always come. No matter if you've been good all year or not."

"But if we're bad, he doesn't come." She frowned.

He dropped an arm around her shoulders. "Listen... I know what the others say and what the stories are but Santa accepts explanations. I swear."

She was still unconvinced but Luke was nine and had four years of Santa experience on her. "How do you explain?"

"Well, you can either write it in your letter to Santa or you can tell him when we go see him at the mall." He said.

"So before Christmas." She said, shoulders slumping.

"Yeah, I mean, that's fair, right? You didn't want to leave him a note with his cookies, didja?"

"It's easier." She protested. "Why do we have to tell him so early, Luke?" She fretted.

"Jessie, Jessie.... What do you have to worry about?" he frowned. "You're perfect, you haven't done anything wrong this year. Santa loves you. I bet you're at the top of the nice list."

Her chin wobbled. "I snuck into Kota's room while he was at school."

Luke studied her, scratching his head. "What happened in Kota's room?" he asked.

Her lower lip wobbled. "I broke something." She whispered. "I didn't tell anyone."

He remembered something back before Summer that he'd managed to take the blame for. "You... was it that DNA diagram thingy he built out of legos?" he asked.

Her eyes flashed up to meet his, alarm fully present in her gaze. "You... know?" she started wringing her hands. "I'm so in trouble with Santa."

"Hey, no no..." He shook his head, wrapping her up in a hug as he sat down on the couch, pulling her down with him. "You're great with Santa." He said firmly. Jessica stared at him, wide-eyed. "I actually took the blame for breaking it because no one knew how it happened. You don't owe me, you're not in trouble. Kota rebuilt it in like ten minutes." He held onto her until she stopped trembling with the nerves she'd been hit with.

"You got blamed? I'm sorry, Luke." She apologized. "You shouldn't have been blamed for it."

"Happens a lot." He shrugged. "I break things, didn't you know that by now?" He tickled her until she giggled.

"I'm still sorry."

"Okay, I accept your apology. So what are you going to tell Santa?" he asked.

"That I've been good and deserve chocolate and toys?"

He grinned. "Yes! You are very much my sister. I've taught you well, young one." He patted her on the head before letting her out of the hug.

"Oh, then you can help me get cookies." She grinned, all nerves about Santa gone and a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

"Cookies?" He perked up. Luke was always up to get cookies. "They're not cookies your mom said to not eat, are they?" He asked. "Because those can get us both in trouble with Santa."

She frowned. "No, not if we eat the chocolate chip cookies." She said, after thinking about it. "They're on top of the fridge though. You know I can't get them like you can."

He grinned. "Well, for chocolate chip cookies, I've done a lot worse than got up to the top of the fridge." He said, with a dramatic eyeroll. "Lead the way... we'll have cookies before everyone else realizes we're having cookies."

She gave a little cheer and grabbed his hand, practically towing him to the kitchen. "Thank you, Luke. I'll make sure to tell Santa you've been super good this year too."

He grinned at her, taking only a few moments to get up to the top of the fridge. "Thanks. I appreciate that." He said, grabbing a handful of cookies, replacing the lid to the container and easily making it safely back to the floor. "Your cookies, Miss Jessica." He bowed slightly as he offered her the cookies.

"Thank you, kind sir." She dropped a curtsey, taking two of them and sitting at the table.

He joined her, already nibbling on a cookie. "Cookies that were snuck out of a hiding spot are the best." He mumbled around a mouthful of chocolate chips.

"Best ever." She agreed, giggling softly before they started to again discuss their Santa plan and wish lists.

~Fade~