More Cubs for Mama Bear

"Mom."

"Yes, Dakota." Erica didn't look up from her textbook. She'd finally gone ahead and enrolled back in school to finish her nursing degree. She wasn't thrilled that it was night classes but she didn't have that many classes to take. So, if all went as planned and she could complete the coursework, then she'd be a nurse by the end of next summer and able to apply for jobs in the fall when Jessica was in class full time. Was it too much to hope that she could grab a dayshift somewhere?

"Can I talk to you for a moment?"

She looked up then, studying her ten year old son. "Of course, my love." He looked very serious as he shifted his weight from foot to foot, swaying from side to side as he pushed his glasses up nervously. Her mama bear instincts started to tingle and she marked her spot and turned to face him. Oh, when had he gotten so big that she couldn't pull him onto her lap and cuddle him? "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He said it far too fast and she arched an eyebrow at him. "Really. Nothing's wrong. Well, we had to stay in from recess today because we were in trouble." He held up a hand and rushed when she would have said something. "It was cold and we didn't want to go outside and it was a good reason. They weren't letting the twins have a snack. You know they're diabetic and need to eat. We just made sure they got to have a snack."

"Okay." She said, holding up her own hand. "Dakota, the boys are just as much my children as you and Jessica. I know you're not bad boys, you always do things to help other people." She said softly. "What's on your mind?"

"Well, we were caught this time by two older boys. They want to get us into the Academy that they actually go to school at and we'd be their team, their family."

Her brow furrowed as she looked at him.

"And the older one, he's Mr. Blackbourne. He's a good guy mom."

"How old is Mr. Blackbourne?" she asked faintly, unsure if she was actually hearing him correctly.

"Oh, he and Sean, they're both 13." Kota said, pushing up his glasses again.

"I'm not sure I fully understand but is this something you want to do?"

"Yeah, mom. We all do."

"I need to meet them. Fiona might want to meet them too." She said cautiously. While the others did have parents or guardians, for years, Erica has been the first line of contact and she would fill the others in for final decisions.

"Okay." Kota said eagerly, relief filling his tone. "They, um. Well." He ran his hand over the back of his head. She arched an eyebrow at him again. "They don't have anywhere to go for Christmas." He finally said. "Do you want to meet them before then or can I invite them to join us?"

He seemed so pleased that she'd said she wanted to meet them that it was on the tip of her tongue to invite them to Christmas before she realized there were a few other factors in play. "Well, that's still two weeks away. Why don't we work out a meeting between now and then and if it works out, I'll invite them for Christmas at that time." She suggested.

Kota rushed over and hugged her. "Thanks mom." He said as she hugged him back.

"You're welcome, my precious." She murmured. "Have your final shopping list done?" she asked. The boys always bought presents for each other as well as for her and Jessica, just like they did. She exchanged a few things with the adults but since starting Christmas at the Lee's almost 7 years ago, she had to be honest and tell the truth. Christmas Eve and Christmas day were two of her favorite days ever with her cubs. She supposed she should be grateful that these older boys weren't wanting to take her cubs away from her on the Holiday. She kissed his forehead as he pulled away from her.

"Yes. Most of it's done from when Fiona took us shopping last weekend. But we also want to get a few things for Mr. Blackbourne and Sean." He said.

"You're always so organized." She smiled at him and ruffled his hair.

"Can Jessica and I invite Nathan over to watch Charlie Brown's Christmas?"

"Of course. Make sure he brings Gabriel and Luke too. I think they're both over there tonight."

"And you'll make hot chocolate and we can have some of the cookies you made yesterday?" he asked with a sly grin.

"The candy cane cookies?"

"Yes, please."

Erica rolled her eyes at him and chuckled. "As long as the other three have actually had dinner then yes. If they haven't, I'll make sandwiches first and then hot chocolate and cookies." She said.

Kota grinned at her again. "Thanks mom." He impulsively hugged her again before going to the phone to call Nathan's house while she tried to finish her homework.

Two more cubs, hmm? She mused. Older. She frowned slightly and stole a glance at Kota talking on the phone before she sighed softly.

Friends are good. She reminded herself. Friends that become family the way the boys already seem to be, are an even bigger blessing. Meet them first, Erica. Talk to the others and move forward from there.

Having mentally chastised herself, she sighed again and re-read the passage in her book before jotting down the answer to her questions as Kota hung up, yelled something excitedly at her about the other three coming over and headed to his sister's room to rouse the 6 year old up to the level of excitement he had.

(Fade...)