Precious One

a/n consider this a warning because, well, we know that Erica's husband was abusive to her and Kota. We don't have a ton of back story information so this is one of those slight head canon moments that picks up in the 'aftermath' of a run in with him. Also... I have been wondering just how Christmas at the Lee's became a thing so hopefully, this sets up that tradition. 

"You need to leave." Erica winced as she touched the corner of her lip. She glared at her husband, furious that he would come home drunk when he was supposed to have been Christmas shopping for their 3 year old, Dakota. She could care less at this point if he bought anything for her or the baby that was due in just a few months.

But to spend the money she'd set aside for a learning game for their son on whiskey and God knows what else?

Hell hath no fury this close to Christmas when a pregnant mama bear loses out on an expensive present for her son.

"He's 3." He said flatly. "He'll barely remember this Christmas, let alone what he gets."

Erica balled up her fists and put them on her hips, glaring at him. "Don't even do that. You know what you did was wrong. All of it was wrong. Spending the gift money, drinking and who knows what else you got yourself up to tonight. I'm done. You can go."

He sneered at her. "Maybe if you were a bit more loving, I wouldn't be forced to drink."

"Maybe if you were a bit more of a decent human being, you wouldn't drink away the Christmas money and come home and hit your pregnant wife." She countered, eyes narrowed in anger. "So go. Just go. I don't care where you end up tonight but you're not coming back here. I'll tell Kota you got an assignment and needed to leave early to get to base." She knew she shouldn't provoke him and she was walking a fine line about it with her words but she was counting on timing.

Timing was going to end up being her friend, like it or not because Ben Taylor was arriving any minute to drop Luke off because he had to take care of a major emergency at his restaurant tonight or he'd lose everything that they had for service in the morning.

"I ought to just stay to spite you."

"NO. You're leaving. NOW." Erica's voice raised, partly in anger and partly in fear because she knew that how pregnant she was, she couldn't use force to get him to leave and he'd already struck out at her, backhanding her in the face when she'd raised her voice the first time. Tears welled up in her eyes and she rested her hand on her stomach. "go...." Her breath hitched and she drew in a shuddering breath, not wanting to cry in front of him.

He scowled but lights hit the living room and he glanced out at the driveway. "Of course, you're watching another brat tonight." He grumbled.

"Which is why you're leaving right now." She said evenly, keeping her back to the wall as she inched her way around him to go grab the door when there was a knock. "Ben..." She managed a wobbly smile.

"I can't thank you enough..." Ben's words trailed off as he saw the blood dripping from the corner of her split lip and saw the bruises that were forming on her cheek. "If this isn't a good time..."

"No, he's just leaving." She said, reaching out and taking Luke from him, cuddling the toddler close. Her husband spared a few choice words and heated glares at both of them before pushing by them and out the door.

Ben looked at her. "Are you sure you're okay?" He asked gently.

"I probably shouldn't let him drive..." she said faintly, staring after her husband, breathing a sigh of relief when he couldn't get into the car because he'd left his keys somewhere in the living room after he'd hit her.

"Will you be okay with the boys?" Ben watched Erica's husband stumble down the street, heading out to the access road.

"Yes." She nodded, reaching up to wipe her eyes with her free hand. "It's fine. Thank you for letting us come to breakfast in the morning. Kota is extremely interested in seeing what you've done to decorate for Christmas."

"Thank you for keeping Luke. I should probably figure out some long term child care, but if no one has a problem with helping the way you all have for 3 years now, then why change things?" Ben gave her a smile and looked at his watch. "I really do need to go. Call me if you need anything, Erica. Anything at all."

She looked at him curiously. His words had a different tone and weight to them tonight and she wasn't sure if it was because of what he'd witnessed or because of the time of year. They all tended to get a little kinder at Christmas. "I will." She said, waiting as he ran a hand over Luke's tousled hair and bent to kiss his nephew's forehead.

"See you in the morning then." He said before heading back to his truck.

Erica closed the door, locking all the locks and cuddled Luke close as she went through to the kitchen to secure all the doors, even as her face was throbbing with pain. She took Luke up to Kota's room and settled him next to her son in bed, pulling blankets over him.

"Mama?"

"Yes, Kota, my precious?"

"Is daddy gone?" she heard the tremor in his voice and she was heartbroken to realize that he'd probably heard the argument.

"Yes." She said, reaching for him, picking him up easily without waking Luke. She kissed his temple as he wrapped his arms around her. "Daddy had to leave." She whispered. "He probably won't be back again for a while." She thought she heard Kota whisper 'good' as she carried him downstairs, stopping in the kitchen for an ice pack before they went and sat down in the living room, to cuddle and look at the Christmas tree lights together.

"Mama...?"

"Yes, Precious?"

"Do you know what I asked Santa for?"

"I don't, are you going to tell me?" She smiled, half fearing that he was going to ask for the learning game that she could no longer buy for him.

"I think I can. I don't think Santa would mind." He yawned and nestled closer to her, his eyes glued to the tree.

Erica ran her hand down Kota's back a few times to relax him, before smoothing his hair down from how it was sticking up from sleep. "What did you ask for?"

"I asked him to make sure that Luke gets to have a good Christmas." He said. Erica tilted her head and pressed a kiss to the top of his head. "I don't want him to be lonely."

"Oh, Kota. My precious." She murmured, pleased and touched that he would ask Santa for something so selfless as to make sure that his friend had a good Christmas. "That's a very good thing to ask for."

"I love you mama."

"I love you too, precious. Can you count the candy canes on the tree for me?" she asked, her mind starting to work on a plan that would allow them to help Kota get his wish from Santa. She was only halfway listening as his sleepy voice counted aloud.

"One... two.... Three...." He waved a finger towards the top of the tree. "Four...."

(Fade...)