Toddler Drum Solo

"Thanks for watching him, again." Ben said, passing the sleeping toddler over.

"No problem." Erica said, cuddling him close as Ben set the bag down inside the door for her. "Anything new happening?"

Ben shook his head. "Well, I don't know." He said, frowning slightly.

"Maybe you'd better come in." She laughed softly. Luke shifted in her arms, mumbling in his sleep.

"I'm sure it's nothing." He said, but came in anyway, shutting the door softly behind him. He eyed her baby belly. "Are you sure you should be carrying him?" He asked, anxiously. "That was stupid of me to pass him off to you. I could have carried him in for you."

"Ben, stop." Erica tilted her head. "I'm fine. I carry Kota still. It's not a problem." She said reassuringly. "What's happening with monkey boy?" She settled down on the couch, still cradling the little boy close.

"He's been somewhat fixated on the phrase Rum pum pum." Ben shrugged. "It's the strangest thing. Grabs a pot in the kitchen, bangs it a few times, shouts that and runs off to climb something he's not supposed to be climbing."

"That appears to be a little strange." She said, glancing at the lights twinkling on the Christmas tree. "I'll see what I can find out."

"I appreciate it." He said. "Are you sure you don't want me to go put him in with Kota?"

She shook her head. "No, it's fine. We're just going to sit here and enjoy the tree a bit." She said as he stretched in her arms, still sleeping and one thumb made its way into Luke's mouth.

"Thanks again, I'll lock up for you."

"Thanks, Ben."

Erica had puzzled over the description of Luke's recent activities for a while as he napped before she managed to get the two of them off the couch so she could go lay him down next to Kota for the night. She didn't have to wait long in the morning to try and figure it out.

Luke woke up and as soon as she'd dressed and fed both boys, he'd made a beeline in the playroom for the toy drum set in the corner. His head flailed as his arms beat a fast staccato on the drums as he shouted "Rum pum pum" at random intervals as he played. "Look." He cried to Erica, absolutely beaming. "Luke play. Luke play drum. Pum Pum." He crowed before dissolving into giggles.

She laughed softly. "You're doing so well, monkey." She said, applauding softly at his impromptu concert.

Kota sighed heavily as he wandered over to her. "Mama. He's not doing it right." He wrapped an arm around her leg and looked up at her.

"I'm not sure there's a right or wrong way to bang a drum, baby."

"Yes, there is Mama." He gave her a look.

She knelt down next to him. "Why don't you show me." She said, reaching out to smooth his hair back away from his face.

Kota studied her for a long moment before he started to clap a four count. She smiled, her precious counting child, of course he'd figure out counting in relation to drumbeats. Her eyes grew wide as he started to sing, slowly and softly, in time with his clapping. "Come, they told me, pa rum pum pum pum. A newborn king to see, pa rum pum pum pum."

"Oh!" Erica blinked. "Little drummer boy." She mumbled. "Of course."

Kota stopped and she immediately missed his sweet little voice, singing to her. "Do you see now, Mama?"

"Yes, baby." She nodded, reaching out to cup his cheek. "I do see. But, let's let Luke enjoy his way. You can drum your way later, okay?" She searched his eyes for agreement, knowing her sweet boy would understand it was part of how to be a good friend, taking turns.

"Yes, Mama." Kota nodded and she leaned forward, pressing a kiss to his forehead.

"Good boy. Why don't the two of you play while I work on a few things."

Kota beamed at her. "Okay, Mama." He said before running over and finding a triangle in the jumble of toys, choosing to add the ringing chime of the instrument to Luke's crazy drum solo.

Erica shook her head as she turned away, heading in search of her camera. Ben would get a kick out of the fact that Luke's version of the little drummer boy was an almost dead on impersonation of Animal off the Muppet Show. She poked her head back in, snapping a few pictures of the two boys as they played together. A smile played on her lips as she made her way to the kitchen, humming the song to herself, laughing when she found herself singing "Pa Rum Pum Pum Pum..." with almost as much enthusiasm as Luke.

~fade~