Chapter 14 - Taste of Fear

[Celine]

"You remember your position, right?" My uncle asked me again, as I stood there on the grounds of Trost, looking up at him with my hand on the reins of Finn.

The Scouts were gathered around us, exchanging their messages and pleasantries to each other- we all never knew if this expedition would be the last. We had to be sure.

My squad was just a short distance behind us, preparing for launching as well. Everyone was too busy saying what could be their final words to each other. I admired how brave they all were.

"Enlighten me again, Commander?" I teased, and my uncle sighed.

"Levi rides in the front of the squad. The rear is composed of Eld and Gunther. Eren is a little forward between them. Petra and Oluo will enclose you behind Levi and in front of Eren." He explained for the seventh time, and I smiled up at him.

"I just needed to hear that again for some reason." I teased.

"You're such a child, Celestine." Erwin groaned. I stepped closer to him and put a hand on top of his, looking into his eyes for assurance.

"I was raised by a bore. I had to find ways to entertain myself as I grew up." I teased further, grinning.

"Good to see that your survival instincts are in tact." He answered, making me laugh.

He took my hand and enclosed them with both of his, looking at it with a reminiscent haze in his blue eyes. That was the only hint of emotion in his face. "I can't believe these hands of yours used to be so little. It feels like yesterday, the first time I took you from your mother's arms."

He looked down at me, the reminiscent haze turning into a proud gleam that made my heart soften even more. "And now you're standing here with me, about to go in to battle with me, as a certified Scout. I never thought this day would come."

"Really?" I asked curiously.

"Well, since I saw how stubborn and ambitious you were becoming, it passed by my mind, but you get the point." He shrugged stiffly. I giggled at his expressionless gesture.

"Weren't you once stubborn and ambitious, when you were this age?" I asked again, teasingly.

"Yes, and I got into a lot of trouble for it, young miss." He looked at me sternly. "Personally, I still prefer my prior hopes for you, to become a doctor. Or an inventor, or a noble at court. You could have knocked some sense into those stuffy people."

I shook my head, smiling dismissively. "Politics is not my thing. Neither is medicine. I like taking care of animals, though. But the inventor idea- now that's something I'd be doing if I wasn't a Scout."

"You're such a bright girl, daisy." He told me, looking down at me.

"Daisy?" I asked, finding that term of endearment extremely familiar. I knew I've heard someone else call me that way before. "Now what's up with you and calling me in these weird ways recently?"

My uncle's eyes widened, realizing the difference in his sentence. "W-Well, when you have someone you hold dear to your heart, darling; you really can't stop yourself from giving them endearments. They just come naturally. One day, you just find yourself calling them a different name."

I smiled up at him, taking his explanation. "Alright, alright- I'll take daisy. As long as you let me call you treeman."

"Treeman?!" Erwin exclaimed, clearly finding the nickname ridiculous. "Why on earth would you want to nickname me for a tree?"