Chapter 36 - The Battle Begins

A/N: The next few chapters will stretch through the Reclamation of Maria Arc. So, if for some reason you still haven't watched Season 3 yet, major spoilers wait ahead. Also, I'm still crying. How dare you make me write this, Mr. Isayama.

[Naomi]

"No way." I giggled softly, as the dawning sky shone over us and drenched our group in darkness. We used the glowing ores that we have mined from the Reiss Chapel to light up the way through it, walking covertly in the dirt trail towards Maria.

Armin was right beside me, his nervous face trying his best to smile. "Yeah. You guys were the eldest of the batch, right? You also happened to be the most skilled ones. We were dead scared of the four of you. Always teaming up, always sitting in the same table at the mess cabin, always waking up before everyone else does."

I almost laughed at his remark, shaking my head as I looked down on the ground, gripping on Finn's reins. "They were very talented- Bertholdt, Annie and Reiner. It's like they were trained like a soldier since they were little."

Armin looked at me, waiting for my voice to break in realization that I was now posing myself in front of the opportunity to end this dispute between them once and for all, in a method I was dreaded the most to do.

But I raised my bright gaze at him with a faint smile. "Guess it's a bummer that out of us 'cool kids', I'm the only one without the power to transform into a titan."

Armin grinned. "Unless you're keeping it a secret. You can tell me now, though."

I giggled softly. "I wish I could, you know. I really do. It would give us a better fighting chance."

Suddenly, a loud clatter of an ore lamp frame hit the ground, startling the scouts and dimming the light on our spot. The tin metal sounds as well as the low murmurs of the soldiers out front broke mine and Armin's little conversation to lighten myself up of the heavy decision I was making. 

"What is that?" Armin asked, looking over at our front.

"It's alright!" Somebody hissed in alarm. "It's sleeping!"

"A titan?" I asked Armin back, and he shrugged at me.

"I think so." He answered.

"Hey." I heard Levi's intimidating voice scold the scout who was picking up the fallen lamp on the ground in front of us. "You're supposed to light up the path."

"Right away sir, apologies." The scout replied in concealed panic as he rose back up, and Levi's vacant glance alighted on me from across the scout. I gave him a questioning raise of the eyebrow, signalling something only he and I knew of.

He gave an inaudible sigh, and turned around as he said in a cold tone, "Kindly."

The troupe proceeded trudging on as we passed the sleeping titan, and they discussed in discrete silence how they didn't see that beast until we passed by it with the light.

"It's really unusual hearing Captain Levi say words like 'thanks' and 'kindly'." Armin pointed out softly. "You're making progress, Naomi."

I smiled. "I still have a long way before I teach him how to say 'sorry' and 'please'. Pray for my survival."

Armin chuckled quietly, shaking his head.

"The trail is visible." A scout from the leading squad announced to all. "We're getting close. Mount your horses."