Chapter 5 - My Trust

[Celine]

"Mom, Dad!" I screamed, fighting rough hands that tried to touch me. I yelled, and kicked, and shrieked and called; but I couldn't see anything, no faces, just dark shadows of what seemed like men loom over me. They smiled, and laughed, and every time they did, I felt myself grow smaller.

Suddenly, they stopped cackling, and I heard something dig into layers of cloth, after a slash, red liquid gushed out of one of the shadows' torso. The other turned away from me, roaring at the man behind the fatal stab. He wasn't shouting for long. His throat was cut wide open and he collapsed to the cement ground.

I cried- confused, and afraid. I have never felt so alone and isolated in my life. A new figure came into sight, and I attempted to clear my vision, but I couldn't recognize his face. He was a man, and I thought he was like the shadows from earlier, but no. The way I saw him was clearer, he had black hair, and wore a dark emerald coat, as opposed to the others that wore brown ones.

He reached out to me, and I felt him carry me in his strong arms. I could hear the steady beating against his chest as I nestled my bruised, exhausted body in his protection. If valour had a sound, it would be the rhythm of his heart. I felt safe.

"Celestine... Celestine. Celestine, wake up."

"Celine. Celine!" I heard a different voice call, this time it was feminine; and felt a hand over my shoulder, gently shaking me.

The next time I opened my eyes, they were blurry from water. I blinked twice and wiped the sleep off of them, my knuckles wet from tears. I was crying?

I got up from my bed and saw Annie at the side, standing on the latter. Her lazy blue eyes glared at me. "What the hell? Were you planning to sleep in?"

"What?" I yawned, shaking my head. "Of course not. I'm up. Let's go get that flag."

She hopped off of the ladder with no sound made, and I reached to take my cadet jacket off of my bag, quickly, before slipping off as well. As I briskly zipped up my boots and tied my newly-dyed, dark brown hair, I thought about that strange dream.

It felt so real. Everything about it, the touches, the sounds, even my throat-scarring screams. I thought about whether it symbolized something important in my life, and as I thought harder and harder, a striking pain freezed the side of my head. I stifled a whimper, and pressed the side of it.

When the episode was over, I kicked myself up and ran outside the cabin, quietly, careful not to wake the others. It was a competition, after all. Most of them were dozing off. But Mikasa, Christa and Ymir were already out of sight.

Sprinting across the grounds in the foggy obscurity of the dawn, I followed Annie to mine and my team's meeting place, by the stream in the woods. I got there last. Annie, Reiner, Eren, Thomas and Mina were already there.

"Good morning. Sorry for being late." I greeted quickly, standing inside their circle.

"Good morning. Why don't you go have tea or something? We can talk about the weather and how nice it is to live in Stohess." Reiner said sarcastically, folding his large arms against his chest. Annie shot him an impatient raise in her eyebrow.

I smiled softly at him. "I'd enjoy that very much, but I'm afraid your suggestion will only delay us for longer than I already have."

"Hey, Celine. Good you're finally here." Eren said. "We were just thinking of ways to lose the other squads."

"It seems like we're not the only ones who thought about getting up early." Mina added.

I looked around. "How many do we have?"