Chapter 19 - I, Your Comrade

[Naomi]

"You mean... There's a baby, in there?" I asked, looking at Auntie Celine's flat tummy, as she sat there on the bench at the town's garden square. She giggled softly at me, her face illuminated by the sunset glow.

"Well, yes... Is there any other kind of pregnant?" She said. I smiled excitedly, sitting next to her on the bench.

"What is it like being pregnant?" I asked inquisitively, my eyes fixed on her normal-looking belly. "Does it kick? Do you feel its heart beating? Do you know if it's a boy or a girl? I hope it's a boy. I only get along well with boys... For some reason..."

Aunt Celine laughed softly, shaking her head gently. "I think it's too early for questions like that, daisy. I'd only been pregnant for a month."

"Well, is there an answer you can tell me, then?" I asked. "I need something to wonder about later."

"That's so you to ask." She remarked warmly. She looked down onto her stomach and put her delicate hand on top of it. "It's beyond words, Naomi, how happy I am to finally have a child. I watched your mother as she also felt this way when she was carrying you in her womb long ago, but I never imagined it would be this blissful. Especially because it's my own, shared with the man I love, the man I want to take care of for the rest of what's left of my life, and the man I always wanted to be the father to my children."

"Uncle Erwin?" I asked, smiling brightly.

"No one else." She replied, her brown eyes soft and inspiring.

"You two are so in love, aren't you? What does that feel like?" I asked, tilting my head in dreaming curiosity. Auntie Celine laughed at me, shaking her head yet again.

"You're too young to be thinking about that kind of love, sweetheart, but sure- I shall humor your inquiry." She answered. She looked towards the park, with the other children playing with their parents and their furry pets.

Her eyes were mesmerizing, as if they were taking you into her own world. In this way, she taught me how to appreciate the people I had around me. She taught me how to dream.

"Being in love with your uncle has enlightened me on many things. We seldom agreed with each other. We always had conflicting thoughts and opinions about things. No matter how big or small the issue is. We even once thought about not sharing a bedroom at all, because we wouldn't agree to the designs of the house." She said.

"Huh? Why? Do husbands and wives have to share a bedroom? My mom and dad don't do that." I asked, confused at that very young age.

She laughed sheepishly. "Of course. But I think that is a question you should ask your uncle instead..."

"Alright, I'll ask him when I see him." I nodded. "But... Do you guys share a bedroom now?"

"Yes, we managed to find a way to make it perfect for the two of us." She answered. "And that's the most important thing about love, daisy. It doesn't matter whether you fight, or argue, or disagree. Over big or small things. What matters is that, despite all these seemingly bad stuff, you stay together. Because you feel safety and understanding when you're beside each other."

She looked down at me, myself listening intently to her. "It doesn't matter where you two end up. As long as you have each other, that's somehow everything."

"That sounds like a large luxury, Auntie." I remarked. She smiled at me, and nodded.

"It is." She replied.