Chapter 32 - Autumn Festival

A/N: I don't know why but this chapter makes me feel really emotional. Probably because I know what's going to happen after Calaneth. Ugh. Enjoy your happy days!

[Naomi]

The cold air of the night was not a hindrance for the jovial village people of mainland Calaneth. The stars were twinkling up the sky in agreeing jolly, down the colorful buntings of gold and orange that lined the warm-lit streets, food stalls and amusements dotted down the cobblestone paths; as people walked, talked and danced in the festive music playing in the background.

"Are we really sticking together?" Hanji asked, as the ten of us walked down the streets a little nearby the wide townsquare. "If I'm gonna get myself embarrassed for the evening, I'd prefer to be without those who know me."

I and my friends laughed heartily. I smiled over everyone gathered in our spot there under a warm lantern and nodded. "You guys go wherever you want. But we need to be gathered together at the left flank for the fireworks exhibit, alright?"

"Sure thing, Naomi." Jean answered, as a group of giggling kids passed behind him.

"You got them there, Armin?" I asked my best friend, who gave me a thumbs up, and a pat on his little brown satchel.

"Alright then, I'll see you guys later!" I bade, before they all grouped together and set forth into the lively crowd of strangers, vendors, dancers and children.

"See you later!" Sasha bade brightly, skipping away. Uncle Erwin, Levi, Hanji, and I watched warmly as all of them have fled away, yet again.

"I don't mean to be that person, but just this once..." Hanji said. "Can we please try that totally sick cheese wheel? It looks like it can stuff me to death!"

"I'd much rather avoid gravitating towards a diseased dairy." Uncle Erwin replied stiffly, making Hanji and I raspberry in hilarious jeering.

"Oh, Uncle, you can't be serious." I laughed, shaking my hands at him. "Some words aren't literally meant, you know."

"Nevertheless, I'd much rather not try out. It might be poisoned or something." Levi added coldly.

I rolled my eyes, and looped one hand each around my uncle and my boyfriend's arms, practically yanking them towards the stall. "Corporal Hanji, we have a mission!"

"To the cheese coaster!" Hanji yelled enthusiastically from behind us, pushing the two stone-cold men to walk towards the stall we were talking about, the one with that large, circular coaster of cheese.

"I'll never understand why you two are excited about some fermented milk." Levi said quietly, almost drowned out by the noise of the thumping drums and singing pipes.

The four of us initially went over to the food stalls to snack on just one kind, which was the cheese coaster; but since we arrived there and Corporal Hanji saw all the other types of festival food Calaneth was serving that night, we were stuffed for dinner and for breakfast the next morning.

We spent an hour separated from the rest; as they probably tried out some snacks and the carnival games, too. I knew they really had lots of fun while exploring the Autumn Festival, because if they hadn't, they would have met up with us thirty minutes ago.

Time passed by like a psychedelic dream, just laughing, bantering, and playfully skipping from one stall to another. There was a time I felt like I was going to vomit everything out, and my uncle even choked one time. But it was nothing we hadn't made fun of.