Chapter 8 - Dawning

[Celine]

"You're a smart kid. You learn so fast." This young lady in front of me, her long, curly hazel hair done up in a classy bun told me. I smiled up at her.

"I wish you can teach me forever." I said.

"I wish I can live that long." She replied, her sad brown eyes telling a broken dream.

I shook my head off of the blurry memory as I flew towards the Headquarters. The flashes I always saw, faceless voices, every time I hit my head hard; were blurry. The voices felt real, but so unfamiliar. Like they were from long, distant lifetimes ago.

In the short fly, I could see the ivory tower, with the titans clambering mindlessly around it. The main entrance was destroyed, the crumbled rocks piled up on the ground. Various two and three-meter titans must have crashed into it, as I have deduced while I hung around a pillar somewhere near.

Larger titans, five of them, were clawing and nudging their faces into the walls and windows of the place. I tried to think of a way to get in there, knowing in my intuition that my comrades were still alive somewhere inside.

"You plan on taking on that, Celine?" I heard a feminine, apathetic voice come from my right, its owner hanging on a roof and eyeing the disaster.

"Annie!" I replied, my eyes widening. "You can't come with me in there, you might lose gas."

"You think I'm going to let you take on that much on your own?" She spat at me. "Just shut up and tell me what the plan is."

"Well, I think you might like this." I told her. "There is no plan. The basement is where most of the cadets are, where we keep the gas. I think it's rigged with smaller titans. But I told Clara and Roger at the preparation earlier to fill up a full around and have it set on the second floor so it would be an easier access to other cadets."

"So, we'll just get in there and take the extra supply, and leave?" She asked, but she didn't seem as if she was waiting for my response. She began preparing for take-off.

"Exactly." I said, preparing my blades and my bow, attached to my arm, as well.

Without a word, Annie took off, ziplining towards the larger titans. I took off too, half-resisting the urge to just cower away and let her deal with it alone.

Adrenalin rushing through my veins, I went for a ten-meter, slashing through its nape and kicking it away to fall before I clung onto another wall again. As I flew to my next position, I shot my bow to a titan with its weak spot exposed, and didn't bother to watch as it joined the others.

When I turned back to face my front, two large, black eyes stared into me, and it opened its mouth wide. Frantically, I mustered all my strength to swing back; before I heard a slashing noise and the beast collapsed to the ground. At the hands of Annie.

"That's all of them. To an entrance!" I told Annie, and we swung into the interior of the desolate building, through smashed glass windows and tumbled onto the wooden floor, inducing deafening thuds and shattering sounds.

I staggered to rise up on my feet, brushing the debris off of me as I looked around the thin smoke induced by the shattering.

"A-Annie?" I called, my eyes narrowed.

"Cel. You fine?"

Annie and I brushed off the dust and fragments from our bodies as we got up. The cadets were all hiding like scared mice under the desks and shelves, their eyes a painting of whatever color the fear of certain demise was like.