Chapter 26 - Rewarding

[Naomi]

I quietly sneaked in to my place in the middle of Mikasa and Armin at the witnesses of honor spot next to the altar, and the line of lawmen. The ceremony was just about to start as Zachary assumed his position on the podium.

The sun was beating down on the town square as I looked at it from above the high platform, but the citizens of Sina were all gathered around to witness the coronation of the girl they just saw deal the killing blow to the most humongous titan they have ever met. And we all could ever imagine.

I sat on the chair reserved for me, in my exquisite emerald dress and badge of nobility, complementing their dark emerald Wings of Freedom coats. "Hi." I greeted my friends as soon as I took my seat, trying not to look to hasty towards the audience. They were clearly observing me too, knowing my contribution on the coup.

"You were almost late, you know." Armin remarked from my left. "In Captain Levi's language, 'you're too damn early for tomorrow's assignment.'."

"Sorry about that, had a little delay on the way here." I answered.

"Naomi, there's a little smudge on your chin." Mikasa pointed out, before thumbing a small area under my lower lip. She showed me her thumb, now having a light red spot.

"Thanks, Mikasa." I answered, smiling sheepishly as she nodded, looking back towards the stairs opposite the one I came from.. Armin tucked a thin wisp of hair back onto my braided bun, making me even more sheepish.

"Speaking of Captain Levi," Mikasa said, looking over at the Captain walking in unfazed confidence over to his seat next to Commander Erwin and Hanji. Unbothered that he, too, was late. "Looks like Naomi has some secrets."

"Naomi!" Armin hissed, making me laugh softly, putting a hand on my head.

"I'm cornered, yet again; today." I replied, feeling the heat rise up my cheeks.

"Very unladylike, Lady Austerlitz." Sasha remarked from next to Armin, making me shake my head shyly.

Mikasa gave out a faint, knowing smirk, and Armin blushed at the conversation. I looked at him with a giggle. "What?"

"You... You two really are in love, aren't you.." Armin said, blinking twice. "Let me just... Get myself wrapped around the idea. Again."

I laughed, shaking my head faintly as the trumpets blared honorably at the arrival of the future queen. Historia stood there at the far end of the burgundy and gold carpet, wearing her stately coat and dress, her hair tied up in the most regal of fashions.

She looked solemn, earnestly calm- as if awaiting a new lifetime to begin. She knew the weight of the crown she was holding as she walked gracefully up to the high steps, all eyes on her. Historia, the one and only heir to the throne- was becoming the Queen of humanity, and only righteously so.

As she arrived to the altar and Zachary began the sacred recital of the royal vows, the memories flashed into my mind, of the past couple of months since we graduated from the Cadet Corps.

Every single detail, all of the relationships and friendships I made, both genuine and cruel, both pretentious and kind- were clear, all of the risks we took, the sacrifices we made, the people we lost and the days we endured. My best friends almost dying. My own uncle almost dying. My lover almost dying. Myself almost dying.

The worst, most terrible motives we've encountered-and their formidable physical manifestations. The best, most compassionate dreams we've discovered- and their impacts upon us even through their absence in the world. The revelations, the new endeavours, the confounding chain of discoveries that still would not sink in.